You are here

storage and editing of Canon mxf files

Anonymous (not verified)

I am a new user of the Canon XF300, and I have some questions regarding storage and editing of the MXF files. When I store on blu-rays, I loose the link to the XF Utility software, is it possible to re-link later, or is it better to not use Utility at all?

So far I have converted files to MOV when editing (in Pr. pro CS4), but then I loose the second sound track, and there is a jump between the clips. Are there ways of converting where this does not happen? Or is it possible to import MXF files into Pr. pro? I am considering using Final Cut X, can I import the MXF directly there, or does it need to happen through XF Utility?

Anonymous (not verified)

Thank you for reply. I have tried to import, but the PPro did not accept the format. I don't know if PPro CS5 can cope, but in the CS4 it does not function - unless there are tricks which I am unfamiliar with...

MediaFish's picture

At MFP we use Canon XF100's that use the same MXF file format\wrapper. We load them right into Premier Pro CS5.5 with no issues and everything is where it's supposed to me - no converting before hand; just drag and drop on timeline.

We load the clips into the PPCS5.5 project and use the preset Canon XF format sequence settings.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

Anonymous (not verified)

thank you, that sounds promising. I assume there will be no problem editing in FCPX either then.

kaylawang's picture

To edit MXF files in FCP, you will need to convert the format first because FCP has no native support for MXF format. To convert MXF files, Aunsoft TransMXF for Mac is a good choice. It could convert MXF to Apple ProRes mov for importing into FCP with high quality and perfect video/audio synchronization.

jackadision's picture

Canon MXF converter. Along with video conversion this tool also provides video editing options to edit the video. This video converter can import all video formats (MXF, AVCHD, MOV MTS, M2TS) to iMovie, Avid, Premiere Pro, FCP X/7, FCE, etc for editing. This tool will help you to play canon MXF video on tablets and Smartphone, Apple TV 3, WDTV and other media player. It can also help you to share MXF video on You Tube, Yahoo, Google, Myspace etc. This video converter is very efficient video converter that can easily convert, edit and compress MXF video to any other compatible format.

This converter provides very simple user interface so that anyone can operate this tool and convert or edit the video. It is the top MXF video converter that converts Canon MXF, 1080 60p/50p MXF, 1080i MXF files to other formats like mp4, mov, mkv, mpg, avi, wmv, flv, 3gp, vob, mod, m4v, etc. you can also use this converter as a video editor because it provides many video editing option along with converting video. Video editing options that provided by this tool are  video merging, adding logo to video, deinterlacing, replacing audio, adjusting video effects etc. By using Canon MXF Converter tool can covert video and can also edit your MXF video, so this tool is very useful because it provides two kind of video operation such as video converting and video editing.

chris198810's picture

Just installed Adobe Production Studio CS6. Cannot import or open MXF files taken by Canon XF300. Updated to the latest version of the apps. The error "corrupted or unsupported fies" is the same with the following apps: After Effects CS6, Premiere Pro and Bridge. Any help will be appreciated. 

Got some tech support online, the MXF files are not well supported by Premiere Pro CS6, as you may encounter many audio and video problems. And I know that you can try to install the Canon XF AMA plug-in. If the plug-in still can’t help you load MXF files to Adobe directly, your computer may have something wrong with the MXF format, then how to import Canon MXF footage in Premiere Pro[/url] for editing smoothly? The alternative way is to transcode Canon XF300 MXF to Adobe's native format like MPEG-2.

Source: http://lydia-file-transferring.jimdo.com/2013/08/18/canon-xf-to-premiere-pro-workflow-canon-xf300-into-adobe-premiere-pro-cs6/