You are here

Step by step and best software for editing HD video?

denemante's picture

Hey all,

I'm new to editing video. I have a high-def Canon HD-10 camcorder. Footage looks great. I can hook it through USB and move all the files to my machine. They are .MTS files.

So, now for the fun part - my questions:

(BTW -I have a Radeon X1650 Video card with 512RAM, and a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core processor, 1.00GB of RAM)

1. I guess my first question is that wouldn't I want to keep all files I edit and create in full HD? Then in a year when I have an HDDVD burner and player, I could would still get the full experience? I'm reading all this stuff about first compressing down the video, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that can't I somehow make my movies in the best resolution, then perhaps at the very end, just burn as an SD version for old-fashioned DVD players and TVs? But I'd still have a high-quality version of my movie for later on?

2. Secondly - this is the big one - might anyone suggest the software and general process for actually editing? It seems that there are multiple steps and multiple pieces of software needed. My goal is in #1 above, and below:

I'd like to bring the video in from the camera. Then I'd like to edit/chop/combine footage, etc. Then I'd like to perhaps add different/more audio to certain places. I'd want to perhaps have some text on the screen. When I'm done, I'll have a little hi-def movie in my computer.

Then, I suppose I can take some DVD authoring software, choose break-points in my movie for chapters, and viola!

I guess I don't expect step-by-step instructions. But is this even possible, and if so - what software would be best?

Thanks!

Johnboy's picture

take a look at sony vegas pro 8 or vegas studio, it handles hdv fine, has for quite a while.

The studio version may or may not come with dvd architect, dvda does come with the pro version.

denemante's picture

Thanks - I got the trial and I'm checking it out - awesome so far. When I preview my little movie on the PC, it looks great as a little .avi. But do you know if I can:

1. Save it as it's highest resolution so one day, when I have an HD DVD burner, it will still be of 100% quality?

2. Can I save it back as an MTS file? My Canon HD10 allows you to put MTS files back on it - and thus it acts like an HD player. So if I have a full HD quality movie, can I put it back on the camera...but I think only if it's an MTS....