You are here

Steadicam for Weddings?

Harry Brooks's picture

Anyone using a steadycam for weddings?, Im about 3-4 weeks out from getting one.$$$ The main reason is I always get stuck following the B&G down the isle and can never get back to my second tripod, Therefore I end up hand holding a 6 lb camera until my arm shakes and falls asleep. The nx5 has a great anti shake but I want more cinema looks. Currently looking at the Indicam with vest and dual arm.

Any suggestions?

Harry

jcl1989's picture

I have been using the glidecam system. Even with the vest your going to find it heavy for anylengthof time. I picked up a pearstone DWL-2 tripod dolly for like $30 and it works great but because of it's smaller wheels it depends on the floor. Another thing I started doing this year is using my glidetrack shooter as a shoulder mount as they come down the isle, with somepractice it is very smooth while walking and once i can get it to the tripod I can do some truck shots

D0n
D0n's picture

adding some weights to a monopod (or tripod with two legs folded) would give you a nice blend of "steady cam" effect, and mobility.... without breaking the bank...

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

We had several wedding videographers in our business association some years ago who purchased steadycam-type devices at one time or another. All sold them within a couple years. Most seemed to feel that the setup time and highly specialized nature of the device simply didn't justify owning it. And it's not an out-of-the-box and on to Hollywood device, either. It takes a great deal of practice to get smooth moving shots. It doesn't strike me as a good business investment just so you can follow a bride down the aisle.

We don't do wedding video any more but use as inexpensive tripod dolly in our work. We're often moving it around medical examining tables and it works extremely well. Admittedly, we're shooting on a solid, level floor but I've used it successfully on a firm industrial-type carpet, too. Manfrotto makes a good one.

We also have a monopod (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554095-REG/Manfrotto_334B_334B_Automatic_Monopod_Black.html) to which we've attached a five inch square aluminum plate with rubber padding on the base. Manfrotto also makes several monopods with feet -- monopods that stand up. The beauty of the automatic monopod is that it has a pistol grip which, when squeezed, allows the unit to be shortened or lengthened. I use this piece of equipment a great deal. With the base plate we've attached it works fairly well as a stabilizer when moving. It's really great when shooting close ups in situations where a tripod isn't practical. The base plate sitting on the ground makes for a very steady shot, much steadier than can be obtained with the typical un-footed monopod.

Jack

rjp18's picture

I swear by the glidecam system, i've had one since december, you're definitely going to want the vest though! As long as you know how to operate it, it's absolutely amazing

Harry Brooks's picture

ordered the vest,sled,arm..the whole works..now the practice part.

Harry

Give the Bride What She Wants!

stefanvideomaker's picture

We recently invested in the Merlin Steadicam for our Long Island Wedding Videography and Sweet 16 Videography business. However it has not yet been deployed much further than filming my nephew in our backyard :)

There is a lot of practicing, setting up/dialing with a steadicam for wedding use, I recommend having an extra camera on it and ready to go because you will have less setup time and it adds a nice element to the couples wedding video. Yes you can get the vest but I feel they are too big, bulky.

White Diamond Video