You are here

star wars background animation?

Ryan3078's picture
for school i have to make a star wars adaption of Julius Caesar.

So i thought it'd be cool to make most of the movie in front of the green screen. when i watched the star wars movies, whenever a character was in front of a window you could see the airspeeders, spaceships, and other vehicles moving around.

does anyone know of an avi or quicktime file of this sort of animation that i could, say, put in a green screened window?

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks!

jws7962's picture
Is this for a play? If so, will there be a charge for admission? How many background clips do you need? How long in duration?

It's important to know these things so we can recommend a solution.

Will

castostarlight's picture
What, like anyone's going to really care about copyright infringment in a high school production.

About the green screening, are you sure you have a good enough screen to key your characters out? You don't want to have to resort to rotoscoping. It's a nightmare.

Anyway, for all the avi's you can imagine go to www.altavista.com 's video search and look for "speeders" or "Star Wars background" or something to that effect.

compusolver's picture
Greenscreening is an art unto itself. Beyond all the fundamental stuff like keeping distance between subject and screen, backlighting, evenly lighting the screen, etc. - watch your focus closely. The camera really needs to record your subject's edges very clearly. Don't use autofocus where the lens might shift from your subject to the screen. Keep the focus steady and on the subject.

Speaking of "the camera", I suddenly began getting much better results when I switched from my Panny C7 (1CCD) to Sony VX2100 (3@1/3" CCD), so you may want to consider borrowing a better camera if you don't already have a good one.

Ryan3078's picture
i am actually filming the adaption and putting it on a DVD, to answer jws7962.

unfortunatly, last year i went to target and found a camcorder for $189

the card said it was digital, so i bought it thinking i was getting a digital8 or miniDV camera.

...yeah

after i opened it i found it was Hi8.

so i'm stuck filming this in Hi8 format, plus i'm broke so can't upgrade as of now.

Ryan3078's picture
also, this is for english, so a whopping 50 people are gonna see it

um...no admission. its for english...

also, duration...

like at least 20 seconds

or a background i could loop

Ryan3078's picture
by 20 seconds i mean the background star wars clip

i could reuse it for the greenscreened viewports, windows, etc

the movie itself will be about 15 minutes or so

also, anyone know a site where i can download CG star destroyer video clips or star wars spaceships traveling in space video clips

tried altavista, didn't come up w/ much...

Ryan3078's picture
we're gonna film the first part on monday
its going to be interesting
im gonna greenscreen w/ premiere pro 1.5, my greenscreen is a green plastic cloth, dont know how that will look.
also dont have much in the way of lighting...
we're going to put in the blaster bolts and lightsaber blades with the lightning effect
a friend has costumes and props to lend us

he also wants to put the movie on atomfilms.com...

i went to www.spacebattles.com and SCIFI 3D.com

found plenty of great CG movies, just what i needed.

anyone know of any other sites that let you download CG star wars movies(just space-featured movies)

i recommend SCIFI 3D.com. if you're into star wars, there's plenty of great animations, 3D-max vehicle models and all sorts of great stuff

castostarlight's picture
I'm glad it worked out for you. If you could, it would be cool if you could post your video on a tripod site or something and send us up a link. I'm sure we all want to see this space age Julius Ceasar.

Ryan3078's picture
my friend who is donating the props wants to put it on atomfilms, so we'll see how it goes

castostarlight's picture
[quote="Ryan3078"]my friend who is donating the props wants to put it on atomfilms, so we'll see how it goes[/quote]

Ooh, be careful. Atomfilms is a bitch about copyright.

Ryan3078's picture
are you serious!?!?!

does anyone know of a site where you can post videos for free that dont care about copyrights? maybe google video?

Ryan3078's picture
got part done already

im surprised at how good the greenscreen worked. i used 3 $10 halogen worklights and a green table cloth. i used a garbage matte around the characters and let the computer chroma key the rest. i end up w/ a thin green line around the characters, but it ended up a lot better than i thought...

heres a link w/ 2 pics from the movie so far

http://www.putfile.com/ryan3078

by the way... anyone know of a site with CG star wars backgrounds.
like empty backgrounds, ones w/ no traffic or people...
[/img]

Ryan3078's picture
i've finally finished the editing - took 3 weeks - and i will have a friend who has "real" broadband (hi-speed wireless broadband isn't hi-speed)
upload our movie (cut into 6 segments, numbered chronologically like lucasfilm. example- episode 4,5,6,1,2,3) to google video.

again, check out www.putfile.com/ryan3078

i recently put 25 new pics from the film

i figured that if we uploaded our film straight from DVD, each sixth would be over 200 MB.

for those who have premiere, when i go to file, export, movie, i choose .avi. exactly what quality % would i want for best uploading video?

Ryan3078's picture
just wanted to let you guys know...

finally finished!

i am beginning to upload to google video

www.video.google.com

type in "hoban" in the search bar

right now i have 2 parts out of the 6 uploaded

respond back here and let me know what you think

Ryan3078's picture
according to our english teacher, we got an "A+++"

A+ because it is star wars, star wars is amazing
A++ for including Rolling Stones music (in episode V)
A+++ for blasting our art teacher (the two teachers have a standing friendly rivalry)

so yeah...

our movie seriously beat everyone elses.

some people edited w/ their VCR, others not at all
however, everyone got perfect scores

by the way, if you check out the video on google video, you'll see another box labeled "julius caeser" that is another group's project, which you can check out

we have a competition to see whose group did best... watch all the movies and let us know!

Ryan3078's picture
finally, months after the film is finished, i got a 3d animation program

if anyone needs basic stuff - like the vids i asked for - i can give 'em to you.

if you need a quick shot of some star wars traffic, ship landing, etc i can do that as long as its on a planet.

email me if you want something like this, and let me specifically what you want. as long as i get credit, i will be happy to do this for free

Ryan3078@gmail.com