You are here

Sony NEX VG20

Cville's picture

I was wondering if anyone here has this camera yet, and if so what they think about it. I am considering this camera in the near future.

I have been reading that there is some controversy about advertised features vs what the camera actually does. So right now I am taking a wait and see attitude to find out how Sony addresses the issue.

Thanks for your input

Tony

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Tony,

I'm looking at the VG20 too, so I rented one last weekend because I was a little frustrated by the lack of English-language reviews. I like the images that the camera produces and the audio, but it has some challenges.

It will take me another week to edit my test video, but, in the meantime, you can find my hands-on preview here. I also took some still pics with it (it is a very capable 16MP still camera). You'll find a side-by-side comparison with stills from my Panasonic GH2 here.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Cville's picture

Bill

Thanks for the input. I look forward to seeing the video you took with it. Based on your review so far, what I read on-line is correct that some of the manual control features that are listed on Sony's website are not available on the camera. This makes me wonder was there a problem with the firmware release to get the camera out and it will be corrected with a future firmware update or was the on line material wrong. I have no first hadknowledgeof the VG10 but I have read it has a lot of the manual setting that are not available on the VG20 such as color, sharpness, and picture profiles that you mentioned in your review.

With that said I am still interested in the camera. I would love to have the FS100 but don't see that one making the budget anytime soon. So I may wait awhile longer and see if Sony addresses any of the firmware issues.

Thank again for the Info.

Tony

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Kenkyusha's picture

Thank you for the review, it was curious that no one had yet done a hands-on demo... How does the VG20 do with moire, aliasing and skew?

Jennifer O'Rourke's picture
Plus Member

Hi, all... Videomaker just got the VG20 in for review and will be posting our results soon. Kenkyusha, I'll ask our reviewer to look into the moire and aliasing concern. Cville, we'll also look into your questions about manual controls. Our video producer and associate editor had a brief look at the VG10, but we will have the VG20 for a longer interval, so we have a better chance of a more thorough review.

Jennifer O'Rourke

Managing Editor - Videomaker

Managing Editor jorourke@videomaker.com VM Customer Support: 1-800-284-3226

Cville's picture

@Jennifer

Thanks. I look forward to the review.

Tony

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

MediaFish's picture

Bill - thanks for the video. I think I will stick with my Canon cameras for the time being. Nothing wrong with the Sony NEX VG20 that I saw in your video but there is just nothing compelling enough to go out and buy one.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

Woody Sanford's picture

I've had the VG10 for a year now and love it. I didn't feel need to "Upgrade" to theVG20 from everything I've seen. The new firmware coming out for the VG10 has peaking which is important if you are using a lense with shallow depth of field or focusing will eat your lunch unless you are in a controlled setting. Many did feel the need to upgrade and I picked up a spare VG10 body for 500 bucks because of it.

I have a 50mm f1.8 E-mount on the way that I'm more exited about.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Okay folks, I have finally posted the long-promised hands-on comparison of the GH2 and VG20. I am a one-man operation, so the sound and the edit are a little rough, but I hope that everyone finds it useful nonetheless:

Sony NEX-VG20 and Panasonic DMC-GH2: Side-by-side comparison

One of my most interesting lessons learned is that I need to stop being so hard on the VG20's moire problem. Under the right (wrong) circumstances, there are moire challenges that even the GH2 can't deal with.

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

Cville's picture

Bill

Thanks for the review. I appreciate the effort you put into this. I know that I don't want an HDSLR body format. So now I just have to decide if the VG20 is worth the money for me.

Tony

www.ynotvideo.us

Anonymous (not verified)

Hi guys, I'm also looking at the Sony NEXVG20 but would like to know if it's considered broadcast quality?

My main attraction to this model is the fact it has affordable, interchangeable lenses, but I'm not convinced about the design being easy to manage without camera shake.

Any thoughts on this model over something slightly more pricey i.e. the panasonic AC160 or the Canon XF100?

Cheers

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

I haven't worked with the NEX VG20 but had an opportunity to play with the Panasonic AC160 at a recent trade show. It appears to be a really great camera: excellent picture quality, controls placed logically, where they're easy to get at, and reasonably priced.

Jack

VideOccasions

Michael Daly's picture
Plus Member

I havea PAL VG10 and a PAL VG20 (about 5 months with the VG20). I'm using them for interviews under soft lights so it's not a particularly tough test for them (25fps and 1080p). I'm really pleased with the cameras and the product. I suspect they won't come up to broadcast standards though. The VG 20 takes a little longer to learn but the controls fall easily to hand. I think some of the commentary I've come across on the VG20 is a bit harsh and more reflective of brand loyalty to Canon than rather than an objective look at the camera. I'd have no problem in recommending the VG20 as a good value product at its price point. I was interested to see a comparison with the FS100 which questioned spending the extra money of the FS100 in terms of picture quality.

Woody Sanford's picture

It depends. I love my VG10 and the VG20 isn't any different in terms of "Broadcast quality" If you have a 50 mbps standard like the BBC does then neither will make it but out side of that depends on the operator.

Viv Straw's picture

I have had one of these for several months and enjoy it, but I wonder if people have any clues to get the best out of it. Can you record from the HDMI output and is the quality any better than the recording to the SD card?

Michael Daly's picture
Plus Member

I saw a comment somewhere that said hdmi output offers 8 bit 4:2:2 recording on the VG20

Evan11's picture

Sony has announced the NEX-VG20, an updated version of its VG-10 Handycam Camcorder capable of 1080p60 recording. The camera captures its AVCHD 2.0 footage on the same 16.1 MP Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor that is also in use in the NEX-5N and C3 consumer still cameras. Upgrades include a Quad Capsule Spatial Array Microphone that now supports stereo and 5.1 channel surround, improved manual controls and grips that have been modified for better low-angle shooting. VG20 users will be able to choose from seven E-mount lenses or use the optional LA-EA2 lens mount adaptor to attach Sony's A-mount optics to the camera.

Video Production Birmingham

wooingscotsman@gmail.com's picture

My company shot a large celtic music festival back in September with a combination of Canon DSLRs and two of these VG20 cameras, one of the songs performed is on YouTube so you can see a side by side demo of how the cameras stack up>

The VG20 is shooting the medium shot from stage right, the wider locked-down angle from stage left is a Canon T2i with a 55-200 f/5.6 lens, and all of the close-up on-stage shots are shot by a Canon 5d Mii with a 24-105 f/4 lens.  (This was the last song of the night of a very long day and evidently the batteries on the other VG20 (which was at the top of the hill on a wide shot of the stage) kicked halfway though the last set, so this was only cut with three cameras instead of the 4-6 we shot everything else with).  Overall we were so-so on the VG-20.  It felt like a compromise between a camcorder form factor and DLSR quality (in terms of the lenses) but sorta failed at both.    We actually didn't know before they came in (the VG20's were rentals) that the lenses were manual, which played a part, but even with that, these cameras were being used to shoot at moderate distance under decent (if not perfect) lighting, and it was very hard to hold and find focus for our operator.

That being said, I know Sony just rolled out the VG30, which is a slightly improved version that adds a power servo lens to the basic camera, that might be worth checking out.

If you live in the US, I would HIGHLY recommend checking out borrowlenses.com to rent either of these cameras though.  Their rates, even with shipping involved, are very very reasonable and the quality of their service is top notch too.  ($125 for 3 days with the VG20, $157 for 3 with the VG30).