You are here

SONY HDR-AX2000

roblovesvideo's picture

Hi guys

I have just stepped up to the above camera from an automated handycam, the HDR SR11. My question is... is there any guide or tutorials out there that may be useful. It is quiet a step up from the old to the new prosumer camera. Any help is most appreciated.

The correct setup of the camera is where i would like to start.

Cheers

robert

doublehamm's picture

I use the Z5U - which is very similar in imaging and function. A couplevideos I found very helpful is "Mastering the Sony HVR-Z7"by Vortex and "Inside the Z7U" By Vasst. I just about went with the NX5U which is the brother to your camera - and plan to in the near future.

No it is not the exact same camera but just about everything directly applied to my camera as well and helped quite a bit. These are definitely worth looking in to!

roblovesvideo's picture

<h3>Recording Options*</h3>

The AVCHD (MPEG4-AVC/H.264) recording options are:

• FX (24 Mbps) 19201080/50i, 25P
  • FH (17 Mbps) 19201080/50i, 25P
  • HQ (9 Mbps) 14401080/50i
  • LP (5 Mbps) 14401080/50i

The Standard Definition (MPEG2) recording options are:

• HQ (9 Mbps) 720576/50i
  • HQ (9 Mbps) 720576/50i (25P scan)

The above are the formats available to me. I am in a PAL area and therefore the formats are slightly different to the NTSC formats.

I will be filming a school play in the school hall and my question is... which format should I use?

Any other settings you think i should change please let me know.

Thanks, Robert

doublehamm's picture

Unless space is somehow a huge issue, and it really shouldn't be, record everything you have in the highest possible quality (FX). You can always down-convert if someone really needs it, but you can never increase the quality after the shoot.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I bought this camera last week and I can say that is one powerful camera. I agree with doublehamm, record in highest quality and then down-convert. I bought a 32 GB SDHC card and it gives me about 180 minutes in FX quality. The AX2000 lets you insert two cards, so if one gets full the other start recording automatically. For tutorials about the camera, just "consume" the operating guide and experiment around with the many features the camera have. Setting up the camera really depends on your taste, your style of recording and what you envision. The camera automatic controls are great and you can actually record automatic without any problem, but this is a pro camera, you have control of everything.

I'm also a little overwhelmed with this camera (coming from a DCR SR47 "happy cam"), but is not that hard. The key is knowing where the buttons are, what the heck they do and record a few things around to see differences. I recorded a ceiling fan testing the high speed feature...not as exciting as recording an attacking snake, but it works and it looks great. Also in the "Assign Buttons" 1,2,3, I assign "Steadyshot", "D Extender" and "Peaking". I consider this to be handy tools that can help improve the quality of the production in many situations. I'm still testing it out so there must be many things I still need to discover and I can't wait to use the camera at its full capacity. I already tested a handheld mic and it worked great, now I will be testing a Phantom Power condenser microphone in the next couple of days.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

roblovesvideo's picture

Thanks Mate

I will play, test and experiment. Shot 3 hours of a school play yesterday in HD. Lets see how the editing goes.

roblovesvideo's picture

Hi sargehero

Keep me updated on your experiences with the camera. Just a question!

I recorded in HD and now whish to create a DVD to play on a normal dvd player. How do i down convert? What software do you recommend.

You also mentioned reading the manual. I have read and referred back to it many times and still struggle to understand. As an example the hand held mike you tested. What do i change when plugging in a mic? did you use the XRL points?

cheers and thanks

doublehamm's picture

What kind of NLE are you using? Most should have an option to render in mpeg-2 format 720x480. Or there may even be an option to simply make a DVD from the footage you have and it will re-encode everything you have automatically in the process.

For XLR, just figure out what input you are plugging it into, and then change at least one of the channels to the matching input. For the input 1 I am guessing you can change both of the channels to go from internal mic to input 1. Channel 1 is typically the left channel, and channel 2 is typically the right channel. While you can switch both channels to record what input 1 is recording (i.e. a handheld mic) , I suggest only using one channel and the other channel left to either the camera mic or even another external mic like a shotgun. This way you will have more audio redundancy in case one fails. You can always expand the left or right channel in an NLE to cover both channels.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Hello Roblovesvideo

To create a DVD you need to convert your footage to MPEG2 DVD. You can use Adobe Media Encoder, Compressor from Final Cut Pro, Sony Vegas export features or any other video encoder such as Soreson Squeeze. You will need a powerful computer because down converting to SD or rendering HD is a processor intensive task. I have a Macbook Pro 4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.53 GHz and a 14 minutes full HD video took 12 hours to convert to MPEG2 DVD.

Before using any mics (or anytime you use the camera), first connect some good headphones to the camera. When you plug a mic to the XLR INPUT 1 you need to change the input in the left side of the camera (open the little "door") to INPUT 1 in the first sets of buttons (INT Mic and INPUT 1. Which are the left channel). If you leave the second set of button (INPUT 1, --- and INPUT 2. Which are the right channel) in INPUT 1 you will hear on the left headphone your hand held mic and on the right your camera built in mic. That's because the INPUT 1 on the second sets of buttons is also the INT Mic (which means internal mic). Like Doublehamm mentioned "Channel 1 is typically the left channel, and channel 2 is typically the right channel". This camera lets you record in Stereo any microphone that you insert in INPUT 1, just put the second sets of buttons in the middle (between INPUT 1 and INPUT 2) and you will hear the microphone on both channels (stereo). NOTE: If you set your audio levels to MAN you will need to manually set both channels individually because increasing or decreasing the audio level from one channel is from that channel only. Not setting it evenly could mean having one channel audio level higher or lower than the other.

You cannot record stereo with a mic on INPUT 2, that will record on the right channel only. Not a problem, like Doublehamm mentioned "you can always expand the left or right channel in an NLE to cover both channels." I'm not sure if recording audio with a Mic on INPUT 1 and the built in mic on INPUT 2 will separate the channels or make it stereo when I import it to the NLE. Need to check that out? Also if your using a phantom power mic you need to change the input to MIC +48V (this button are left of the XLR plugs), and you will need a phantom power cable to use it correctly. There is also LINE which is for connecting your camcorder to a mixer or any other external audio station that accept XLR. Haven't try that yet, looking foward to it.

Hope this helps. Any other question be sure to post it

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

roblovesvideo's picture

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the help.

I am using Pinnacle Studio 14HD.

I note you guys do not mention Picture Motion Browser that is supplied with most Sony cameras and Camcorders as well as Content Management Utility that is supplied with the AX2000.

I use PMB to manage all my pictures and video. Do you guys have any suggestions or thoughts on management software?

PMB allows you to convert HD footage to mpeg-2 and WMV files. Have you ever used this?

Guys to put you in the picture of what I do with my camera currently is...

I film rugby, water polo, hockey and Cricket matches. I have four sons, three of which play sport. I film the games and then burn them to DVD for the kids and their mates to watch themselves and learn from their mistakes. So my question is? seeing that I burn immediately to DVD why film in HD if I have to down-convert? HD tv & Blu Ray etc is just starting in South Africa. Most people still use DVD players. What you guys think.

thank you again

Rob

doublehamm's picture

If there are absolutely no intentions to use HD footage, then I suppose recording in DVCAM might make more sense.

PMB is pretty basic. If you like it for organizing, then it works for you. Any other purpose I think you will find better out there.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

I don't use PMB nor the content manage utility because I have develop my own "system" of organizing. I have edited so many videos that I tend to organize things in an specific way and I'm quite happy with the mess of folders and files I make (a system that only I can understand). If the PMB works for you and you like it I don't see a reason for you to use any other. I have Adobe Bridge and rarely use it, I prefer my "system" :-), although the metadata feature is great.

If your going to burn immediately to DVD then you should record in the SD mode. This will give you the footage in MPEG format which can be burn immediately to DVD without any conversion and is easier to edit. Remember is not the same as recording in HD, but you can be sure the AX2000 SD quality is better or similar to other SD only camcorders. Since you will be recording sports, experiment with the Smooth Slow Rec feature. It gives amazing slow motion footage.

If I had a more powerful computer I would record everything in HD because it gives you a lot more pixels to work with, which is a benefit in motion graphics. I'm recording my Video Storytellers sessions in SD because is easier, faster to finish the product and with top quality.

-

stealthmichele's picture

Hi guys! I'm hoping for some help with my Sony HDR-AX200. I'm a wedding videographer that recently purchased this camera. I seem to be able to shoot and edit well but when it comes to all the technical stuff I am SO lost!!

I filmed a soccer game the other night and decided that I would shoot in SD instead of HD to save space. This is the fist time I've done this with the AX200 but i used to shoot in SD all the time at my old job so I know the quality is not bad. When I went to import the footage into Final Cut Pro it would not show up in the log and transfer. After hours of frustration I finally imported the video through imovie. However it looks like crap. When the players are running it looks blurry and it's almost hard on the eyes to watch! I hope this is fixable. Does anyone know what my problem is and how to help??

jamesdalbright's picture

When I shoot a sunrise on the Sony HDR AX2000 set on Manual, Infinity, HD FX30, F11, -18dB, set to N2, at various shutter speeds, Outdoor preset, the video comes out very grainy looking. I don't know how to set up the camera using the N2 filter for a sunrise shooting and not get grainy results. Does anyone know how to correct this? Thank you.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

James, have you tried different settings in ND3? I believe that for sunrise shooting you will need to add an external ND filter (the AX2000 use 72mm filters). External ND filters are really expensive (at least the good ones), so I suggest to start a new forum threat asking about sunrise shooting and what settings and filters others use with their camcorders. Also (if you don't have one) I suggest you buy a UV Filter to protect your camcorder lens from UV sun rays, dust, scratches and even bugs (funny story that one). They are around $30 to $60. Your AX2000 need some love you know :-)

-

jamesdalbright's picture

Thank you for replying. Today I set the camera on auto, focus on manual/infinity and had good results. I took a few shots with the filters set to off and as the camera called for different filter settings I stopped and changed the filter to N1, N2 and then N3. I left the N2 filter on for a few seconds after the camera called for N3 and when I reviewed the clips the thought occurred to me to leave it at N2 through out the shot next time to see if I like the results. My thought is to try to get one continuous clip of the sunrise. What also made me think to try this was that when I changed from N2 to N3 I did not notice much difference in the LCD screen picture. I was able to get great usable clips from this shooting. Thanks for the tip on the UV lens.

Timothy Brennan's picture

Hi All

Ive had the Sony HDR ax2000e for about a year now. Its fantastic
However i do have one problem i need to rectify.

When i film in slow-motion and review footage on a hd tv i get lovely clean clear bold images. But when i import them into FCP7 they turn out grainy.

Shots recorded in normal movie mode are fine but slow mo always becomes grainy upon inport.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to resolve this?

Timmy B

dagunner's picture

I have been using the AX2000 for a little bit over a year now. I use premier Pro as the NLE. Up until nowI always set it in auto but latelyI am seeing the whites blown out on my video.I film 410 sprint car racing on weekends. The lighting is different on every track. One trackalways has a yellow tintthat! fix in post. I think next timeI will get a light yellow sheet and experiment with white balance. I will probably set gain to manual and use zebra stripe. The fun partis racing start with the sun still up and finishes well after dark.

If I can properly embed a video it will show the blown out whites. Timothy, It has some slo motion at the start and it came out fine. Not sure why yours is fuzzy. Are they fuzzy in preview modeand post editing? Render a small portion out as a test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rirYsfGC8I&list=UUhudrh50_03G2TvSXprIa7g&index=1&feature=plcp

silviamatheus's picture

I have a Sonny HDR AX2000.

I am frustrated with the image quality of this camera in lowlight - it is always grainy.  I have tried using low Fstop, adjusting  shutter speed and noise DB settings and I am still getting grainy pictures.

Can anyone help me with the settings for this camera?  I have another concert to videotape soon and I don't feel 100% secure.

Matheus

geraldprost's picture

The AX2000 will do a good job in low light; however, it has it's limits. I don't know how dark your low light situation is. I don't recommend changing your shutter speed unless you are looking for some special effect. You should be using 1/60th of a second NTSC or 1/50th if your in PAL. I run my FX1000s (same chip set and lens) at 0db. I use the iris to adjust exposure. You will loose some aperture as you zoom. This has been good enough 90% of the time. On occasion I have boosted the gain to +3db and only on one occasion I went to +9db. When it is dim you will actually get better pictures if you boost the gain. Gain will create grain but being under exposed will also get you grain. It is a balancing act. There are some noise reduction softwaref but I have never been that impressed. I shoot live theatre so there is always a lighting challenge.