You are here

Sony cx550v vs. Canon S20 vs....dslr canon 60d

newB23's picture

Hi,

I'm urgently in the market for new video equipment. Working on a documentary shoot, and I need to decide from a few options. The documentary will include interior shooting, natural daylight shooting, and occasionally night shooting. I've worked with Sony before, and their auto features have been super helpful, but the camera I've been using has no audio input, and thus, the audio has been professionally unusable.

Unfortunately, as I'm on a time crunch and need to buy equipment ASAP, I'm limited as to what my local stores have. I'm torn between theSony cx550v, the Canon S20, and the curveball the DSLR Canon 60d. I want the best possible quality video/audio, (I keep hearing about the Canon 5d MarkII), but I don't have much experience with DSLR. Also, I really prefer swivel screens for what I'm doing, which makes the 5d/7d sadly out of the question.

Anyone have any advice? Or recommend prosumer camcorder vs. dslr? or know any other dslrs with swivel screens?

thank you!!

HFS10Dude's picture

Generally speaking, if your filming for long periods, camcorder is better (CCD/Cmos) will not overheat. From what I've seen the 5DMll is an excellent camera. It records in MOV files (H.264).Movie clips can be up to 4 GB in size, approximately 12 minutes of 16:9 HD (1920x1080).

I personally use the Canon HFS10, the current model is the HFS21 (to be replaced by HFG10 March/April 2011). The HfS21 is a brilliant Cam for the prosumer user. Lots of manualoverrides, but fully auto for lazy bums like me. Low light filming is outstanding for a consumer type product.

To sum up - DSLR will give you more flexibility but requires lots of practice, Prosumer Camcorder will offer lots of options with minimum effort to use. Both will have pro's and con's depending on what your doing.

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

I was looking at DSLRs when I was ready to take the next step from consumer to a more professional camera.A fewturn offs for me were that they were...

First and foremost, it isa still camera that just happen to have the ability, in the right hands,tomake greatvideo.

Second, for the price of the body alone you could get a great camcorder.

Third, once you have the body you have to start looking for lenses which could quickly equal or exceed the cost of the camera itself. You need to look real close at the lenses that come with theDSLR in a "kit". For the most part they are not the best glass and are entended onlyto help get you started.

The 14-20 min clip limitation was not an issue for me as I shoot nature videos. I have found that unless there is something really interesting to watch any single clip is only good for about 15-20 seconds before the audience gets bored. I know at some point I will try a DSLR but I knowI still have a lot to learn with my current camcorder.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)