You are here

Songs for your wedding videos...

OnaRoll's picture
Hey guys,

I've noticed that I'm really getting into a slump lately with my videos. I keep tending to get the same demographic group ordering my weddings (Caucasian, fairly well-to-do, mid to late 20's, etc...), and lately I've gotten to the point where I keep recycling the same songs over and over in the wedding videos.

Anyway, aside from just wanting to refresh the ol' video mill so it doesn't get boring, I also had a couple who got me good by having the pastor at the wedding I just filmed sing one of the songs I sometimes use (a Ukulele version of somewhere over the rainbow). He even had a live ukulele accompaniment!

Anyway, What are some of your favorite songs to use in wedding videos? Do you try to give something new to everyone, or do you sometimes play off the fact that not a lot of couples will ever compare videos, and use the same songs over and over.

I used to try and put different stuff into every video. I think now I've either gotten lazy, or I just know the timing in some of these songs so well that I like having them in a video.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator
Of course my first thought is to always use royalty free music (Sony Cinsescore and SonicFire Pro 4 are good ways to create somewhat unique stuff due to their new capabilities).

That said - Some of my favorite pieces (that I'm using in my own personal wedding video) are:

Thoughtful/Emotional:
Enya - A Day Without Rain
Enya - Watermark
Yanni - To The One Who Knows
Cait Agus Sean - Flying
David Lanz - The Dragon's Daughter

Movie Themes & Asst. Music (various tracks):
Rachel Portman - Cider House Rules
Thomas Newman - Shawshank Redemption
Thomas Newman - How To Make An American Quilt
Thomas Newman - Meet Joe Black

Fun (great for sped up sequences):
The Pipkins - Gimme Dat Ding
Body Rockers - I Like The Way You Move

If you really want to see great music choices (and what I think is the best wedding video anywhere IMHO) look at Glen Elliot's work (http://vegasusers.com/vidshare/search?string=elliot&type=title).

I have other suggestions (but hey - I'm kinda new at this so don't mortgage the house on my advice) if you're interested email me off list.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

compusolver's picture
Excellent question!

As for the copyright issue, I've been purchasing each song from Napster, burning to a CD, delivering the CD to the customer with their video and keeping a record - just in case I'm ever interrogated by the copyright police. I know this isn't a perfect, sure-fire solution, but at least the artists are getting something and I'm doing my best to be legal (the couple have a right to use music they've purchased, so I purchase it for them.)

I have an online form where my couples can list up to three songs they'd like to have in their video. If they fail to fill this out, I try to match the song to the couple.

I know what you mean about sameness of clientelle and getting into a rut. We recently did a video for a black couple. both were in their fifties and it seemed that Rascal Flatt's "Broken Road" would be perfect - except that this was not a C&W couple. This couple liked jazz and soul music. I feel it would have been a real disservice to them to include C&W music, yet I was unfamiliar with jazz and soul music and needed to reach out for some help.

This is by no means meant to be a complete list, (and excuse if there are dupes - I quickly redirected a DOS dir command to make this list from several subfolders), but here's some of what I've been used recently (as music for preparations, photo sessions, etc.)

Bless The Broken Road.mp3
Memories Are Made Of This.mp3
Elton John - The Way You Look Tonight.mp3
Elton John & Joe Cocker - You are so beautiful to me .MP3
LeAnne Rhimes -Some Say Love.mp3
michael bolton - a love so beautiful.mp3
Nat King Cole - The Way You Look Tonight.mp3
Roy Orbison - A Love So Beautiful.mp3
Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely.mp3
The Way You Look Tonight - Tony Bennett.mp3
Tony Bennet - Fly Me To The Moon (In Other Words).mp3
Clint Black & Lisa Black - When I Said I Do.mp3
Martina Mcbride - I Love You (Run Away Bride).mp3
(Instrumental) Wedding Songs - Piano - First Love.mp3
08 Chopin Piano Sonata No.3.mp3
Celion Dion - From This Moment On.mp3
classical - Wedding Songs - Tchaikovsky - Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet.mp3
Dean Martin - Memories Are Made Of This.mp3
Debussy - Claire de Lune - Piano.mp3
DJ Sammy - Heaven (Candlelight Remix).mp3
Handel - Sonata in D Minor.mp3
Love Story (Theme Song) (Movie Soundtracks) (Instrumental).mp3
Nat King Cole - The Way You Look Tonight.mp3
Wedding - love songs - When I Look Into Your Eyes.mp3
Wedding Songs - Instrumental - Endless Love(2).mp3
Wedding Songs - Mozart - Pachabel - Canon in D.mp3
Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-Flat major, Op. 73, Emporor - Pachelbel.mp3
Through the Eyes of Love (Hamlisch).wav
Love Story (Theme Song) (Movie Soundtracks) (Instrumental).mp3
Can I Have This Dance For The Rest Of My Life -Anne Murray.mp3
Clint Black & Lisa Hartman Black - Easy For Me To Say2.mp3
Dean Martin - Memories Are Made Of This.mp3
Elton John - Can You Feel the Love Tonight.mp3
Feels Like Home (Chantal Krevi-).wav
Frank Sinatra - Fly Me To The Moon.mp3
From This Moment - SHANIA TWAIN AND BRYAN WHITE.mp3
Heaven - DJ Sammy.mp3
I Could Not Ask For More - Edwin McCain.wav
I Cross My Heart (Strait).wav
LeAnne Rhimes - Wedding Songs - Some Say Love.mp3
Memories of Us (Keith Urban).wav
Tim Mcgraw - My Best Friend.mp3
When God Made You.wav
When I Look Into Your Eyes - Bon Jovi.mp3
Billy Preston - You Are So Beautiful.wma
Lani Misalucha - Looking Through The Eyes Of Love.mp3
Stevie Wonder - Isn't She Lovely.mp3
You are so beautiful to me - Billy Preston.MP3
You are so beautiful to me - Joe Cocker.MP3

LYMster's picture
Hey there...

thats a great list... just thought i add in a site that helped me with the music...

Its at http://www.OPUZZ.COM they have a great selection of loops and even entire cd collections, all with previews b4 buy.

Good quality with the tracks are well composed.

Cheers!

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

LYMster Wrote:

Hey there...

thats a great list... just thought i add in a site that helped me with the music...

Its at http://www.OPUZZ.COM they have a great selection of loops and even entire cd collections, all with previews b4 buy.

Good quality with the tracks are well composed.

Cheers!

OK - I checked them out. Do you work there?

I thought the music sounded "off" (looking for a better word but that's all I could come up with). I only listened to about a dozen selections in five categories but it just didn't sound right to me. For example, the 1812 Overture in the classical group had lousy percussion, at places where you expect hear cannons you don't even hear a timpani - stuff like that.

I think you're better off with SonicFire Pro, Cinescore or any of the Digital Juice StackTraxx collection.

Just my opinion - your mileage may vary.
(Posted duplicate due to perceived spam)

glider's picture
anyone of guys can give some titles of instrumental songs that can be use in a wedding. a romantic songs.

LDPLDP's picture
Though the music you are using may seem to be getting old because you keep using it, it is new to each client. I use Digital Juice Back Traxx music because of the very broad licensing agreement that allows a person to use the music for many applications without further fees. There are several songs I like but it does get boring using them over and over - But for my clients, its the first time for them.

As far as copyright, its not just a money issue, but the author's right to approve or disapprove how his or her music is used. Just because the CD was bought, that doesn't give a person the right to use it beyond personal enjoyment. If the wedding party puts part of the wedding movie on YouTube, you could find yourself in court. There is a case with a woman who video taped her child dancing to a Prince song and put it on YouTube so her relatives could see how cute her kid danced. Prince is suing her.

The music industry could increase its income by allowing people to pay a small fee to use their music in limited productions, like weddings, vacation videos, etc., At the rate the music industry is going with this copyright issue, some people are going to stop buying music in protest.

Shaun's picture

I use Shazam on my iPhone to collect music for my wedding videos. Keeps it all nice and fresh and helps me collect music whenever I come across a new tune. I was in the same boat getting fed up of the same old cheesy music on wedding videos. So now I send clients a helpful list with my favourite wedding dvd music which I have collected. Works a treat!!

Beautiful Life Wedding Videowww.beautifullifeuk.com

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Ashley -

I have promoted several websites for royalty free assets many times in the past, as have other well established members.

You just sign on to the forums and the only thing you post is two messages toutng ntracks.com. It begs the question "are you affiliated in any way with this website"?

If so, this type of message, known as astroturfing, is frowned upon and generally reflects the webiste in question in a very poor light as to its' legitimacy. If not, please forgive my misunderstanding.

Please note, if you are trying to let others know of your website where they can purchase RF music we have no issue with that, only with what we have seen here many times in the past, where a poster pretends to be letting others think they "found" this resource instead of being up front about it being their own site.

Again, if I am am mistaken, I heartily apologize. If not, please refrain from posting like this again.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Bruce, actually there was a third one by Ashley and it was blatant advertising/astroturfing and I removed it. I left the other two due to the fact that so many others had posted various links. In the removed post Ashley admitted working for the company in question. I wanted to do more, or make cautionary statements similar to yours but wasn't sure how far to take it. I share your sentiments, and both of us, I'm sure, reflect the basic policies VM has for posting here.

ashley96's picture

I came to the forums looking through the various "bang for your buck" videocamera questions to see what kind of advice was given as I'm in the market for a higher end videocamera for my dad for father's day. I just began interning for this company that I have used their music for various advertising classes throughout college and thought I'd recommend them as well as try to get advice on how to improve their website. Really sorry if I was wrong in my postings!

raywhit's picture

Two that I really really like:

Let It Be Me - Ray LaMontagne

Lovesong - Adele

TheRealClintC's picture

I recently did a wedding and used "Om nashi me" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. It was probably one of the most moving videos I've ever done

Harry Brooks's picture

I usually let the Bride and Groom decide what they would like for an intro,outro etc. If they leave it up to me I go for what type of wedding it was...20 year olds have different likes than 30 year olds. I am a twenty year musician veteran andI have even gone as far as using my own copyrighted stuff..for the most part I will use new age generic or current pop depending on wedding flow.

Harry

Give the Bride What She Wants!

Shaun's picture

Comment posted twice for some reason - no delete option

Shaun's picture

The problem with alot of videographers nowadays is that they pick pretty cheesy predictable music. The music you use in your wedding videos should communicate your style and influence the kind of clients you attract. There are some awesome resources with great licencing options, such as Music Bed. Its been an amazing resource for me and something I couldn't do without it. 

Beautiful Life Wedding Videos