You are here

Something similar to the Canon XH-A1?

digital10's picture

I'm a new member to the forum!

I am currently looking for something like a Canon XH-A1, however it's out of my budget range which is $1500-$2000.

Any other recommendations or sites that offer good deals?

Other cameras with the specs I'm looking for are:

Canon XA-10

Canon XH-G1

Panasonic AG-HPX170
Thank you so much!!

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

If you use the search function on these forums, I think that you will find lots of discussions about some or all of these models and I am sure that others who have experience with them will chime in. BHphoto is a good starting point for a good selection of equipment and reasonable prices. I've ordered and received many things from them and was very satisfied. Also consider used from ebay bhphotoetc. to get a start for a little less out of your pocket.

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Digital - it's going to be hard to find the XH-G1 or the AG-HPX170 for less than $2000. And I know that a lot of experienced pro shooters swear by HDV or P2 work flows, but I'm not a big fan of either bulky tape or $360 P2 cards.

The only camera on your list in the <$2000 price range is the XA10, which has the additional benefit of inexpensive SDHC/SDXC card workflow, light weight and compact size. The nearest competition to the XA10 is the $1795 Panasonic AG-HMC40 -- but it doesn't have the XA-10's built-in XLR mic inputs.

If you don't absolutely need 1080p, and 1080i is good enough, you can save a little money and get the shoulder mount form-factor with the $1750 Sony HXR-MC2000U.

A great XA10 review from B&H here.

A great field test of the camera from The Camera Store in Calgary here.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill