You are here

Software choices

kev921hs's picture

Hello - I'm looking for advice on editing software under $150. Seems like everyone has a preference but not many people say why. Based on good reviews from internet searches I've got my eye on:

• Cyberlink PowerDirector
  • Adobe Premiere Elements
  • Vegas Movie Studio
  • Corel Video Studio

Can anyone help compare/contrast these or give some pros/cons/differences?

My setup is Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8 GB RAM. No GPU yet; I was holding off thinking different programs would use GPU's in different ways or to varying degrees; figured I'd pick the best card for the software (and my budget). If I'm off base on this feel free to correct me.

Thanks,

Kevin

Cville's picture

Of the 4 you have listed My suggestion would be the Adobe or Vegas product. I suggest those because they have pro versions and it would give you some benefits if you decide down the road you want to upgrade to a more powerful editing product. I have no experience with the Adobe product I moved from Ulead pro after corel bought them and killed the product. The Vegas price point at the time made sense for my budget and it was packaged with a great DVD training series that allowed me to come up to speed on the product quickly.

I'm sure that others will add more about the GPU but the biggest enhancement for me was going to the 64bit version of software. That gave me a great speed boost. Prior to vegas pro 11 the software did not utilize the graphics processor. So far I have not seen much of an advatagewiththe GPU but I have not done much testing on it.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

kev921hs's picture

Does Vegas Movie Studio have a 64-bit version? From what I've read elsewhere you have to go to the Pro package to get 64-bit; in my budget I'd be stuck with 32-bit Movie Studio. Is that not correct?

I've also read some things about Magix Movie Edit Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Sally4u's picture
Plus Member

Vegas does have a 64 bit version - I've been using it. But don't make a decision until go to thesonycreativesoftware site and read and the instability problems (discussed in the Forum) some of us have found with Sony Vegas Pro 11 build 595.

kev921hs's picture

Sally - are we talking about the same software? It sounds like Sony Vegas Pro is 64-bit but I was asking about Vegas Movie Studio. I didn't think Pro was in my budget (<$150).

Cville's picture

Kevin - As far as I can tell from the Sony Creative website you are correct. It does not appear to have a 64-bit version. I would suggest taking advantage of the free trial and see what you think.

They have several training videos on their website. even though they may be forVegaspro most everything will still apply to Movie Studio.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

flyfisher12's picture

I would go with Premiere Elements with your budget and just getting started - it's going to crash from time to time, but as near as I can tell, most of the software programs will do this when they are "burdened" - Pre gives you lots of bells and whistles and can produce a nice product - Cville - on that note I've been wanting to crossgrade to Vegas Pro 11 to make my stuff look "better" all around (slow motion in pre isn't the greatest and titling isn't great either)  I am using an HP, windows 7, AMD Phenon II 945 quadcore, 8 G RAM and ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphic cards with 512 MB dedicated - do you think I will be able to run Vegas Pro effectively?  Any suggestions would be appreciated

kev921hs's picture

Thanks all, this has been a helpful discussion. To turn the question around - and I only ask because PCMag and other supposed "experts" gave it glowing reviews - what are the reasons no one is recommending PowerDirector 10? Does it have a bad rep with "real" users?

roblewis56's picture

I have used CyberlinkPower Director ever since I had so much trouble with Adobe Premier Elements 7 shutting down causing me to have to restore my computer. First 8 Ultra, now I use 9 Ultra. It is 64 bit and I find it to be fast, stable and easy to use. Everything so far has worked like the user manual says it should, (not true with Adobe.) It has no problem with the 1080/60p files from my Panasonic HDC-HS700.

kev921hs's picture

What about video cards? Whether PowerDirector 10, Vegas Movie Studio or Premiere Elements. How much do these programs use GPU's? What should I look for, or for that matter, ignore? Is bigger/faster always better, or is there a point of diminishing returns?

Cville's picture

@ Flyfisher12 I am running the AMD processor also. I just upgraded to 16g ram. So what you have should have no problem running Vegas Pro 11

@ Kevin For me I just don't know anything about Power Director. It may be a great product. Just depends on where you see yourself down the road. If you think you will want to move up to a pro product then Vegas and Adobe gives you a path to the pro version with upgrade pricing.

Video cards I would suggest looking at therecommendationsat the software site. I have a video card that supports the gpu but I'm not seeing much of an advantage. But I have a low end card an XFX Radeon card I think with 1 gig

www.ynotvideo.us