You are here

size of building needed fpr studio.

papayamon's picture

hi everyone. i'm planning to make training videos, using perhaps 2 people (these are health care training videos). also there will classroom teaching at a blackboard. the question i have is what kind of building i'll need for this. i have property where i live, and it's worth it for me to put up a metal building for this.

is 26 by 26 with 12 feet high ceilings adequate? is smaller ok? what size should i be thinking? thanks.

grinner's picture

You've really not supplied enough info for anyone else to answer this. You know what yur production requires and you know what gear you'll have in there. Make it more than big enough for that. It's far easier to use a corner of it than to expand it later.

papayamon's picture

i'm sure i'll use 3 cameras and a classroom type setting, instructor at chalkboard. other settings will be nurse with patient, doing a variety of things like starting iv's, etc.

i don't know how large an area i'll need to make this work. i don't at all have a feel for this as i'm inexperienced with video, though i'm an expert in the content area for the teaching videos i want to produce.

this video, by the way, will be played in training software via windows media player. the bar for quality is not that high, though i'd like to do as good a job as possible. yes, of course it would make sense to go as large as possible. unfortunately, my funds are limited.

if i could get away with starting in a 20 by 26 building with 10 foot ceiling, it would be very affordable. i'm planning on using florescent lighting to help with heat/space issues. most of this will be instructer at chalkboard type production. since i am meandering through this, it is impractical to rent professional studio time. i'd like to have it all set up, i go tape for a few hours, turn the lights off and shut the door, and when i come back next week it's all exactly as i left it. otherwise, i'll never get this going.

anyone with experience filming classroom environment? how much space did you need?

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Papayamon,

Pick up a copy of 'The Video Studio' by Alan Bermington published by Focal Press. It's everything you need to know in a nutshell.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Ken
Ken's picture

papayamon:

20x26x10 might be just big enough for some shooting. However, every studio I've been in has also been used as a storage and waiting area. Ladders, workbenches, extra lights, equipment cases, old sets, chairs, sofas, refrigerator, you name it. So, unless you have an adjacent building for storage, things will be very crowded. I think a 10-foot ceiling would be the minimum for a studio, to accomodate lighting. A 12-foot ceiling would give you enough room to add a lighting grid (pipes about 6 inches from the ceiling) to hang overhead lights. And you'll need some place for actors to sit while waiting for their turn on camera. Also, since you're apparently doing sound recording, think about putting something on the walls (carpet, heavy drapes) to deaden the sound a bit. Otherwise you might find the audio has way too much reverb.

Good luck!
Ken

papayamon's picture

for better or worse, it's a done deal. 22 x 26 x 12 is the ticket. just bought the thing today. will be putting in a plywood floor. since it's only going to be a few feet from my house, all i'm planning to do is use this space to shoot. it's a metal building, and i'm going to use a spray foam insulation to kill the noise. this is about the best i can do with the dollars i've got to spend here. thanks for input everyone.

papayamon's picture

basically, it's a carolina carport, 22 x 26 x 12. i'm ordering it for the roof and sides to be 26 gauge steel, i ordered the upgraded 12 gauge frame and extra bracing. those things are strong as hell. this cost me 3200. then i'll build the front and back out of hardyboard and studs, put a large door and a window in the front of the unit. window will be for ac. i'm putting in a plywood floor. this will cost about 2500. then i'm going to spray foam insulation about an inch thick on the insides for another 900, and put drywall on the ends to act as cooling storage. once i get the drywall good and cool, it will help keep the unit cool when i turn off the ac to film. so the end product will be insulated and sealed tight. i'm in florida, where it's darn humid, and i'll run a dehumdifier inside. i run one in the house and they work great.

finally, outside i'm putting misters which keeps the outside area temp down (i'm a hobby horticulturalist with tons of equipment - evaporative area cooling works). it's also under my giant oaks, so sun won't be an issue. i'll have 7k in the whole thing, which ain't bad.

of course, this leaves little choice except to use cool florescent lighting. i've already got the software, computers, cameras, though i may buy another camera. for 2k you can get a lot of camera these days, at least for what i'm able to do with it.

i'm starting this in the next week or so. the permit is in progress now.

papayamon's picture

i've decided to go with green glue and drywall, and create a 20 x 20 area with 10 feet ceilings. that's an affordable option and i can do it without breaking my neck trying to handle drywall at 16 feet in the air. :). i should be able to do this in a weekend with my neighbor helping.

papayamon's picture

yes, and the final dimensions of the building are 36 x 24 (more like 35 x 23). so building one wall 20 feet from end would leave about 15 x 23 feet for storage, etc..

i'm thinking the ceilings would be about 10 feet and perhaps 4 inches from the floor after 2 layers of drywall/green glue.

to kill the echo inside i'm thinking of lining it with accoustic tile on the ceiling and three sides.

theonecanoe's picture

A lot of school boards rent out their facilities on evenings and weekends. Have you looked into renting a real classroom? I've shot a lot of news stories in classrooms and had no issues with bad audio, also lighting is usually not a big deal as one wall tends to bewindows and overheads are usually diffused flourescents. High ceilings allow for lights stands andsound poles.

papayamon's picture

wayne that's not going to be a viable option for me, since i work so much at my regular job there are only bits and pieces of a day i can steal. i need to have it all setup, cameras and all, so i can just flip the lights on and film a bit, turn the lights off, and repeat as i need it. i have hours upon hours upon hours of courses to film, and i've got to be able to do it at home.

it's going to require a facility. the question is only if 19 x 23 x 10 feet high is adequate for filming. if that's ok, i can build walls and soundproof that area for around 3k and i'm good to go.

when i originally posted this thread, i was just starting to build the studio. i did build it at 24 by 36 by 12 feet high and i sprayed it with dense foam and drywalled the walls but not the ceiling. i put in a wooden floor you can drive a truck on. this has been sitting unfinished for well over a year, and now i'm finally on top of my finances enough where i can actually kick this enterprise off..

so, is 23 x 19 x 10 feet high adequate? :). i'm using flourescent lights, by the way.

papayamon's picture

ok, i think i'm going to try the cheap way out first. i'm going to use a single layer of 5/8 drywall, then double drywall/green glue the back wall i'll be filming against, and then screw acoustic ceiling tiles to the ceiling and other 3 walls over the single layer of drywall. if it doesn't work well enough, then i can unscrew the ceiling tiles, greenglue and double drywall everything and then reinstall the ceiling tiles. i think i can get away with 2k on that.