You are here

Simple Audio Clean Up Question - Looking for opinions

gregorypaolini's picture

I've been lurking for a bit, but this is my First time posting here -

I make some real simple videos which I put on youtube, facebook, etc..., and up until this point, Windows Live Movie Maker has worked just fine for me

I wanted to improve my audio, so I upgraded my camera, and went to a wireless mic.

After shooting a few hours of video, I realized my camera's mic input (Canon T2 Rebel 550D) has a hiss. I have to send the camera for warranty repair, but in the mean time, I need to clean the hiss to use the footage already shot.

The hiss is veryconsistentin volume and frequency, and if I was doing this 20 years ago, I'd just use a parametric eq to remove it with no problem.

I was thinking about upgrading toPremierElements 10. My thought was I could clean the hiss with Elements, and pick up some additional capabilities for editing and titling at the same time

I'm basically looking for opinions: Will Elements work for me? Or is there a better option?

Thanks in advance

pseudosafari's picture

I don't know for sure about Elements, but Adobe Soundbooth or Adobe Audition both could help with this. I only mention that because if you're interested in upgrading, you can look at the various Adobe Premiere Pro packages--some of them come with these audio tools. You won't be disappointed.

However, if you don't want to go that far, try exporting the audio of your videos to a separate .mp3 or .wav file, and editing that in the free audio program called Audacity. It probably has tools to fix your hisses and hums. I used that before I bought the Adobe package and it was pretty good.

Perhaps someone with specific knowledge of Elements can chime in here, though.

Good luck!

BruceMol's picture

Audacity does do a good job with hiss - but, hiss (in my opinion) is harder to clean up than humm because it's often in the vocal range and getting rid of it entirely (in audacity) also affects the sound of voices - goes all metalicy.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

The high end packages (Sound Forge, Audition, etc...) do the best but Sony Vegas started out life as an audio editing package and still does pretty well. As mentioned, many folks (myself included) use Audacity - It's powerful and works reasonably well. Another audio tool to look at is Levelator - a free utility that takes an exported AIFF or WAV file and does a really good job of creating a normalized audio file which is brought into the NLE to replace the original audio - you may want to start with Levelator, then run it through Audacity (Noise remover, high pass and notch filters come to mind), and finally with what your NLE has to offer (EQ & compression to name a couple).

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

artsmith's picture

I have used 'Magix Audio-Cleaning Lab' for years, my version being v15. I understand it was conceived originally for those restoring the sound on old audio-tapes, viny records, and such-like. The 'cleaning' functions feature a digital sampling setup controlled by a 'wizard' which makes the procedure very simple, foolproof and sure-fire with a very simplelearning-curve.The principle calls for the operator to find a short portion of the audio which contains the unwanted signal only. 'Sample' from that, and usespectral subtraction to remove that unwanted component from the duration of the sound segment as a whole. I have used a number of similar programmes, but this one removes many unwanted noises as clean-as-a-whistle, first-time.

As an illustration; I record my commentaries, direct-to-mic. from in front of my computer, which has extra cooling, and so, is nosier than most. Because that noise is constant, and therefore true to a single sampling, my first step is to do a sampling from the commentary, (in 'wav' format) and do a bulk subtraction from the entire duration of the recording, before any further processing. The software can also be used to get rid of any unwanted noise which is of a fairly constant level and pitch over a period of time, including, the throbbing of diesel engines, rain on the roof, the sounds of surf fromseaside recordings, (where surf is not wanted, that is), and almost any variety of hum, hiss or so-on.

As a bonus, there is a spectrograph-based add-on, which gets rid of intermittent noises as well and helps no end when 'bringing-forward' low level background sounds which are wanted. So, basically, in the single package, you have the best of both applications.

Ian Smith

Dunedin. New Zealand

MediaFish's picture
Plus Member

Try MP3 Editor Free - http://www.mp3-editor.net/index.html

I use the free version with great success. The pay version is even better. I also use Adobe Audition and a few others but there hasn't been anything that I can't handle between MP3 Editor and Audition.

The best part about MP3 Editor is the free version - which will do just about everything needed for most audio quick fixing.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

gregorypaolini's picture

Thanks for all of the great advice. I wanted to follow up, that way anyone in my situation may be able to benfeit from my experience.

I did end up getting Premeir Elements, it's a huge jump up from Live Movie Maker, and allowed me a lot more editingchoices, as well as the ability to export the audio only portion of my project.

I also started using Audacity - Very simple to get started with, especially with all the YouTube stuff out there for it.

Between the two of them, I was able to quickly fix my audio project, and things sound great now! Although Premier ispushingthe limits of my laptop (But that;s the subject for a new post in thePremierforum.)

Thanks for all your help

Gregory