You are here

Shutter Speed

somethingclever's picture

I have been using a Canon T2i and occasionally shoot action scenes that are planned to be editing in slow motion. I was just told by a friend that if I film at 60 fps, I need to keep the shutter speed at 120+ to be able to do the slow motion efficiently with good quality. Why is this?

doublehamm's picture

My guess would be that with a nice fluid slow motion addon it will better calculate the "missing" frames better if there is less motion blur.

Charles Schultz's picture

The faster the shutter speed the sharper the slow motion will look and depending on what is happening in the scene 120 fps might be too slow.

Rob Grauert's picture

Even if you weren't shooting for slo-mo, I wouldn't go below 1/120th if you're shooting at 60fps. When shooting 30fps, the shutter is usually 1/60. At 24fps the shutter is 1/48. So it makes sense to shoot at 1/120 when shooting 60fps when you're shooting for real-time playback.

For slo-mo, I'd go way faster than 1/120. I've shot with the 7D at 1/1250. We were going for a choppy look rather than preppy for slo-mo, but the footage would work well it slowed down with Twixtor or something.

doublehamm's picture

Ahhhhh Twixtor is what I was looking for. Loved what the demo could do but still waiting to purchase the full plug-in.

Awe, okay I understand now. Yeah and speaking of Twixtor, I've been using Motion for the slo-mo stuff: it analyzes two frames and creates a frame to place in between making a clip capable of super slo-mo. That plus shooting at 1/120 at 60 fps I think I'll have some cool effects for the next music video I'm shooting haha

ninquelote's picture

Jacob,

You want to use a 1/120th shutter at 60fps because that gives you a 180 degree shutter. This is how a film camera works to give the most fluid motion possible. That means that there is an equal amount of time between the frame being exposed and the time in between frames. You basically double whatever your fps is and that give you your shutter speed.

Now this does not mean that you couldn't have a 90 degree or 45 degree shutter. Like Rob was saying, that would give you a different look; in this case choppy because your shutter is closed for a longer period of time than it is open.

Justin, thanks for the explanation - I understand the concept more clearly now. I will continue to learn the ins and outs of my camera. Thanks a lot!