You are here

Show Your Video

XTR-91's picture

Can anyone, who has embedded their longer than a minute QuickTime video, and has been successful, please post it?

9-26-2010am.mp4

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Yes XTR, I'm using Mac, MiniDV footage from Canon XL1 and GL2 units, captured via my Sony DSR 11 DVCAM MiniDV deck firewire. I use DVKitchen software with settings I prefer, but I upload my clips via DVKitchen to my web host (HostGator), then put thumbnails with links on my iWeb designed websites linking to the .mov files created and uploaded by DVKitchen. I'm not brilliant enough to play around with stuff so DVK was my saving grace in getting successful, playable and decent-sized windows of video from QT files off my Mac.

If you're curious what I'm doing you can visit the theater pages on either www.corelannvideo.comvideo samples, or www.videostorytellers.comlanding page intro video, or Video StoryTellers! theater page and see what I'm saying. I'm not trying to be fancy, just have decent playback with minimum wait for QT streaming video clips to show samples of my work.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

You can stream ONE of them, or you can't stream any? If only one can't stream, out of all that I have up on both sites, then I consider myself golden ;-)

I am NOT using the most current version of QT, as came with Snow Leopard. I am using 7.6.6 QT player, and QT 7 Pro

XTR-91's picture

I've tried several of them(multiple times) and all of them do the same. You just may be surprised if you try yours on a PC and mine on a Mac.

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

As a point of reference...

Using a PC here. All the Video Storytellers Theaterepisodesstream quite nicely on Windows Media Player.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Thanks Crafters. Also, I was going to say that I've had the clips thoroughly tested on several associates and friends who are PC centric, and others who are Mac centric (all using various setups, monitor resolutions, programs, hardware components) and the vast majority were positive. That's why I've stuck with the combination I use that includes DV Kitchen for processing.

No combination, to my limited knowledge, is or will be perfect in application or solution, but in my case I'm willing to accept the apparent rarity of negative impact to some for the overall positive responses I get virtually daily from a significant range of others.

I would also point out that the original poster requested input and I shared. So, don't shoot the messenger ;-)

XTR-91's picture

"... quite nicely on Windows Media Player."

yeah, but at a cost of quality compared to my experience with the H.264 format. I tried streaming WMV on my computer at a fairly reasonable quality leve - and it's worked, but not with nearly the same speed and effeciency. This is an Apple problem, and should also be an easy fix. I've had the exact same problem on another office computer.

I'm just wondering if there is anyone with the right solution and/or QT settings.

"Also, I was going to say that I've had the clips thoroughly tested on several ...vast majority were positive."

EarlC, couldyou try streaming this on your computer? - 9-26-2010am.mp4

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

XTR, after two-plus minutes of waiting on a powerful Mac pro I discontinued waiting. This is based on the fact that experiment, intense curiosity, nor hunger for knowledge would compel ANYONE to wait any longer than THAT for something to happen.

Even if it was the most pristine of quality and exacting of visual acuity. I would MUCH RATHER settle for what happens when I review my clips, or someone else seeks to check them out because the quality is sufficiently there after a much more reasonable amount of wait time.

Sorry, NOTHING is worth waiting THAT long to view. Even when watching Netflix I'm only willing to wait so long before my movie starts, often finding the bit of crappy playback and jumpy frames preferable to waiting, and waiting and waiting...

I think I'm no longer interested in participating further with this particular thread.

wtzup's picture

@XTR. Just get yourself a YouTube Account. Post your video there. No one uses streaming on their sites anymore. With a great following of uses already on YouTube it is one of the best places to post your video. Google owns it. Like EarlC I would not wait that long. I wait long enough to process a Video just to upload.

Anymore it is usually 25 words or less and 20 seconds or you lost me. ;-)

James

http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyJackFarm

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

XTR

Took a look at the link a little further. I may be wrong but it looks like you are trying to stream straight from an FTP site. I do not think that is going to work as most FTP sites are treated as another "drive" by the visiting PC. My computer is trying to download the whole file and there is no evidence of any progress after 2 minutes. This could be access issues (maybe i do not have readpermissions?) or the file is so large it actually takes that long.

You may want to check into your web sites hostprovider and see if they support streaming video. And if they do, how is it set up. Somethingto keep in mind as well, if there is too much interest, your web host may have issue with the bandwidth.

The other option, as mentioned above, is to use a video hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo and embed the links into your video web-page.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

XTR-91's picture

On the same site, it's worked with WMV before. YouTube has a 15-minute upload limitwith the free version. I've just been frustrated at something that should come easy, but Apple has too many odds and ends with their PC products. It's not a speed or bandwidth problem. It's the QuickTime application that fails to stream.

I've tried itfrom three different computers (all PCs)on multiple sites, and they all did the same thing.

Rob Grauert's picture

XTR,

After reading through the posts, I'm still a bit confused about what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to post a video on your website that plays as it downloads, and you want it to be in a Quicktime format?

My site does this (www.robgrauert.com). Is that what you're trying to achieve?

repclips's picture

The funny thing about m4v is that you can't create a download link for it, just need to change the file to the .mp4. And with mp4 embeding should work. You can check it on my page: http://www.repclips.com

bromin's picture

Check out my video i.e <a href="

">Videomaker.com</a>

Is there a way to put link in my video

MAR1BEWAZ1's picture

CHECK OUT MY NEW VIDEO AND SHARE PLEASE I AM A SUPER AMATEUR FILM WRITER EDITOR 

SYNOPSIS:A young man with anger issues and a broken heart wants another mans banana..A roller coaster of emotion,a tale of sorrow and empathy.Two boys.A banana.One life changing experience. Brought to you by Patchman Studios

Joshua Miles's picture

Check out this amazing online promo video produced by Affixxius Films, a growing video production outfit in central England, awesome effects and really top-quality editing work! Check out some more of their stuff at affixxius.com.