You are here

Shouldn't SD look half the size of HD?

cdnclub's picture

Hello everyone,

I am making the leap from SD to HD, just gotta buy the right camcorder. Anyways, I have been tinkering with HD editing. Doing some practice stuff and now I have a simple question with I hope a simple answer.

In SVP 9.0 I have imported some native HDV footage (1440x1080) and the project properties are the same (1440 x 1080). It all looks great. But just for fun I imported some SD footage (720x480). I expected the SD footage to take up a much smaller portion of the screen. It looks like the native 480 pixel height is now at least double. What is going on here?

Thanks,

Eric

rs170a's picture

Vegas automatically scales all stills and video up to the project properties settings.

If you want to keep your SD footage at the original size, open up the Pan/Crop window and resize it there.

Mike

cdnclub's picture

rs170a wrote "Vegas automatically scales all stills and video up to the project properties settings".

Well, I guess that means that Vegas essentially "blows-up" SD to at least 2x it's original picture.

I'll try to do the crop/resizing thing and keep all SD video on a separate video track so I won't have to resize each clip.

Thanks again,

Eric

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

Simple answer is:

SD video is 720x480 pixels. Your native quality is 1440 x 1080. This is 4 times better quality. (2 x 2) What is the software do in the back? It is use your SD and blow up to 2 times factor a specail algorithm do this and place like antialiasing function producing an appreciable quality. Some paint program do the same, blow up a factor 2 and scale down a factor of 2 the picture looks great we call it INTERPOLATION .

Regards,

YR

cdnclub's picture

Playing around with Vegas tonight and 720x480 superimposed on a 1440x1080 screen size does look a tad small. Probably a good thing that Vegas resizes the SD.

Your explanation signmax does help. Thanks.