You are here

Shooting in tight spots

Rex
Rex's picture

I was wondering if anyone has tips on shooting in tight spots? I was shooting a Bar Mitzvah the other day and during the "Hora" The dance floor got pretty crowded which made it difficult to get decent shots on the floor. I was wondering what some of you guys would do in this situation. Thanks.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Rex,

By that time you're just filming 'B-roll' for coverage. Long as you have a recorder or another camera getting the overall shot and sound or both, you can put a small camera on a boom or a thin light tripod, set the image wide and get overhead crowd shots. Just don't jam the poor kid in the face when they lift him up or anything....

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

What I do is record from every possible angle. By recording A LOT of B-roll, later in post I can play with the camera angles. Be creative with this shot. I have climb ladders, chairs and like Bill mentioned using a monopod (or a tripod) to get an "aerial" view. Just don't stop recording different takes, even if it's lame (you never know if you will need it in post).

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

How about a herocam, mounted on you head? No zoom but it would fit anywhere you are. This would probably be in addtition to your other camera(s).