You are here

Shooting for documentary

raphaelgandara's picture
Hey guys,

I'm shooting for a documentary and I'd like to know some tips about recording a person speaking as we can see in most of documentaries in the market.
They put the person talking to the interviewer and the camera in a side position, right?

What should I do to get the best quality for voice w/o noise and external sounds? Is it better to shooting in a inside room?

I have just a camera (GL-2). Should I shoot in FRAME option and than use Magic Studio to put like film quality or the inverse?

Sorry about some questions, but I'm a newbe in this subject.

Thanks.

Video-maniac's picture
If you are in a quiet setting like a quiet room, a nice shot gun mic on a boom poll would work very well. You might even get away with just mounting the shot gun on the camera if you're close enough. Make sure it's a good one though.

If you're in an area with a lot of outside noises, I'd suggest going with a wireless lapel mic set up. This will isolate your interviewee and allow you to pick them up better and should work very well when set up right.

As far as shooting in frame mode, if you're planning on showing this on a TV you don't want to use frame mode. You'll want to use regular interlaced mode. If you're planning on using this on the web only, then you could try using frame mode. You'll won't get very good results in trying for the film look by going the way you're talking about. Documentaries and movies are two somewhat different animals.

RAM

TomScratch's picture
Hi,

More choices for you!

Simple one camera setup:

Distance cam to subject, 5-10 feet

Set cam on tripod, cam at head height of subject

Manual focus, focus on eyeballs

Manual exposure preferred, but automatic should be O.K.

I prefer lavalier with unobtrusive cable over to cam. Will need unbalanced converter cable to connect from balanced XLR cable (from lavalier) into cam. If good cables are used, not cheap cheap but average, you should get clean audio with no interference worries. Test the audio level with headphones before you start.

Lighting doesnt have to be complicated. A single video light strategically aimed from a table can do wonders.

Interviewer sits to right or left of cam.

Ask the subject to include your question in the responses.

Looking forward to your doc!

REGARDS TOM 8)

raphaelgandara's picture

Video-maniac Wrote:

As far as shooting in frame mode, if you're planning on showing this on a TV you don't want to use frame mode. You'll want to use regular interlaced mode. If you're planning on using this on the web only, then you could try using frame mode. You'll won't get very good results in trying for the film look by going the way you're talking about. Documentaries and movies are two somewhat different animals.

RAM

Shooting in frame mode is not good? For a mix (doc and movie).
I mean, for action shots, should I still capturing images using regular interlaced mode? I will use it on a TV etc. It is a DVD.
Thanks again,

Raphael

Endeavor's picture
I have to disagree with video-maniac about frame mode. I love frame mode! It keeps your footage from looking like that "amateur camcorder-ish", TV news footage. I use it whenever I can.

Video-maniac's picture
Endeavor: I know what you're saying but when you're editing and you finally have everything all finished up and ready for exporting (or whatever you do to get a DVD created) what are you encoding your final product as (prior to DVD encoding that is)? If you're sending it out or encoding using NTSC DV settings, isn't your encoding software taking your frame mode footage and breaking it up into the fields anyway?

What it really boils down to is what kind of a look are you going for and more importantly... whats the targeted format you're going for when playing the final product. As far as televisions go it's usually either interlaced or progressive type sets. The original poster mentioned that he is planning on playing his project on TV.

RAM

raphaelgandara's picture
So...

For my final product (people will buy the dvd and play in home tv, etc.) should I use Interlaced or Frame mode?

compusolver's picture
Though broadcast signals are interlaced, it is my understanding that DVD players send non-interlaced signals to the TV/monitor. Therefore, I would think that avoiding interlacing should be helpful. But I don't have first-hand experience with it.

Video-maniac's picture
raphaelgandara
So...

For my final product (people will buy the dvd and play in home tv, etc.) should I use Interlaced or Frame mode?

The general rule of thumb is if you are planning on making something that will be shown on an interlaced NTSC CRT style TV, you will want to use the normal interlaced setting. The picture will be very clear going this route.

If you are planning on making something that will be shown on progressive screens such as a PC monitor or the latest Hi-Def equipment <OR> you are going to put it on the web, you should go with the frame mode.

raphaelgandara: Since this is your first project, IMO I would go with the normal interlaced mode. This way you know it will look great and there wont be any surprises. Once you get more experienced and comfortable, then you might try fooling around with the frame mode but be advised that there is more to this than meets the eye. Using frame mode requires a very good understanding of using the Tv and Av settings so that you can avoid smearing when shooting fast moving action.

RAM

Endeavor's picture

compusolver Wrote:

Though broadcast signals are interlaced, it is my understanding that DVD players send non-interlaced signals to the TV/monitor. Therefore, I would think that avoiding interlacing should be helpful. But I don't have first-hand experience with it.

Yes, the tv is displaying it as interlaced but the look is very different. I personally like frame (progressive) mode better. Try them out!