You are here

Settings for shooting a video for broadcast use on a sunny/cloudy day?

daxalain5's picture

Hello guys! I need some help shooting a video that I will be sending on a local tv station. I am just doing some b-rolls for a motocross event and I will be using a dsrl (canon t2i.) I know that it needs to be 30 fps & 1/60th shutter speed. I might set my aperture to f15 to get dof and 100-200 for the ISO. I will be shooting mostly wide shots and I just want to get the best exposure as possible. I'll be using the Daylight preset for my WB. Will these settings work?

Thanks guys!

Mike Wilhelm's picture
Administrator Plus Member

I don't like to set these things in stone without looking through the viewfinder, but as a quick note, you don't have to stick with 1/60 shutter speed for broadcast. As a rule of thumb, I generally don't go any lower, but I don't know that any TV station will turn your footage away if you have to set it faster.

--
Mike Wilhelm

Videomaker's Director of Content

daxalain5's picture

Hi! Thanks for the comment! So what would be considered safe for the shutter speed? I am thinking of bumping it up to 1/100 but no more than that. So anyways, I always check the readings on in the camera to get my exposure correct as close as possible. I can always underexpose it a little bit and my reason for that is because when it is overexposed you can't really fix it in post. Also, I am not sure if having my aperture at f15 will get me a nice wide shot with some good dof on it. What do you think? Thanks a bunch Mike! :)

daxalain5's picture

Hi! Thanks for the comment! So what would be considered safe for the shutter speed? I am thinking of bumping it up to 1/100 but no more than that. So anyways, I always check the readings on in the camera to get my exposure correct as close as possible. I can always underexpose it a little bit and my reason for that is because when it is overexposed you can't really fix it in post. Also, I am not sure if having my aperture at f15 will get me a nice wide shot with some good dof on it. What do you think? Thanks a bunch Mike! :)

Charles Schultz's picture

From my experience in St. Louis Missouri TV stations like 30P settings, shutter speed can be whatever you want them to be. Your best bet is to contact your TV station to see what they prefer. Remember the shutter speed can be what it needs to be but the format is what matters. For example, you can shoot 1080i at 30 to 60 as long as the station can use it. Just talk with them to set you straight, really they don't mind.