You are here

Scene detection

pnoyes's picture

I am 25 days into the 30 day free trial of Adobe Premiere Pro and discovered that there is no scene detection for existing files, scene detection only works during capture. I have about 30 hour long videos I planned to edit. Would be near impossible without the film broken into clips. Anyone have a solution? I have been working in Avid and it is no problem, just click scene detection.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Hi pnoyes

This is going to be atediousprocess, but what you can do is open the 30 hour clip in the source monitor and manually mark the in and outs for each individual scene. After you select the in and outs of one scene go to Clip > Make Subclip (with source monitor selected). This will divide your master clips into subclips (scenes) making it easier to work with later on.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

Depending upon the format you are using HDVSplit works well for well for HDV footage. It is freeware and can be found easily on the web.

If you are using DV or AVCHD, Iomaymi has given you the only solution I can think of.

Good Luck!

pnoyes's picture

Lomaymi, I thought about doing it manually, but it would just take too long. Then I thought about re-capturing the old videos in Premiere Pro which has the scene selection option. Still very time consuming but all I would have to do is hit the play button on the camcorder and go work on something else.

Iankinz, thanks for the suggestion, but I am using DV.

I'm now thinking the solution for me is to do the old projects in AVID and use Premiere Pro for new projects. .

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

I have an idea which may work, although it will only be in real time so is not much of an advantage over recapturing from the original tapes, which if they are in good condition will ensure the best quality.

The idea is this: No guarantees it will work for you, but may be worth a try.I have an old Pioneer hard disk and DVD recorder which has a IEEE 1394 DV in/out port, and have tried it out and it works, except for thesimultaneoustransfer bit which I can't try.

I can transfer out of the Pioneer from DVD or Hard disk any non copy protected material as a DV stream to Premier Pro CS5.5. The Premier capture settings need to be at , no device control, DV capture and scene detect. The settings need to be made then the capture window closed. The source file needs to be running, in my case the Pioneer running in replay before the Premier capture window is reopened. It sees the streaming video and captures fine.

I can also set Premier to export DV-AVI, make sure all files are rendered and tick 'use previews" and my HD recorder will capture the export fine.

If your computer ispowerfulenough and you have more than one IEEE 1394 port, it may be as simple exporting from your Avid software and capturing with Premier using a jumper between ports. Or you may need a second computer for exporting. Have fun! Either way you have some workaheadof you.

Cheers