You are here

Scale down or up?

L. P.'s picture

I have video from two different cameras that I'm trying to put together into one video that will go on dvd. The main video is in HDV 1080p30 format. The secondary video is in DV NTSC Widescreen 48khz. What settings should I use for my timeline? I'm using Adobe Premier Pro. Thanks!

Ian Kirkpatrick's picture

I have been in this situation a few times and also have Premier Pro 5.5. I have never tried mixing DV and HDV in the same timeline, and don't believe it will work but have tried doing what you want two ways.

1. Load all the HDV footage into a HDV project and render out as DV to the same standards as the other HD footage. Then start another DV project and import both the normal DV and the rendered HDV to DV footage onto the timeline as required. Asthe rendered footageis your main footage you may have a very large file to play with.

or

2. Reload the original HDV tapes into the HDV camera andchange the camera settings to exportSD andcapture again as DV. I have found that this method gives slightly better quality, although once authored to DVD even at 8Mb/s it will be hard to detect, but it also preserves the scene detection available on Premier which gives you a greater number of smaller files to work with.

Good Luck

SafeHarbor's picture

Hi L.P.,

Since your destination format is DVD, you can edit in the DV Widescreen project and combine the HDV and DV clips. Premiere definitely allows mixing of formats, no problem there. In Edit > Preferences > General, check the box for "Auto Scale to Frame Size" BEFORE you bring in the HD clips and they will scale into the DV project.

As the other poster suggested, you do have the option of having the HDV camera downconvert to DV for you, and that would be a good workflow to consider also.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

paulears's picture

I agree - if you KNOW you won't need to go back to the HD clips in HD, then editing in DV format uses less of most of your computers resources. That said, I actually contradict my own advice as I often have DV and 1080p material in the same project - and use the HD 720 preset, which is a smallish stretch of the SD material and a small shrink of the HD. Why bother, you ask? Because youtube accepts it as an HD project and uses different compression that makes the DV material look better than an SD project uploaded. The H264 mpeg makes my DV material look much better.

artsmith's picture

I am engaged in this process at the present-time, 'marrying' DV tape-footage in PAL-Widescreen 720x576 to 1920x1080 High Definition using an intermediate format of 1280 x 720. I exhaustively checked the footage from numerous experiments for losses etc, and decided that the best average could be obtained by upscaling the 'standard-format' materialthe least, as it is the more prone to image deterioration.

At first I used 'Virtualdub' for the upscaling of the 'standard' material and converted the formats separately but had to abandon the 'one-at-a-time' approach in 'Virtualdub', (I could never get-the-hang of its system of 'batching' based upon scripts). Finally I used TMPGEnc 'Video Mastering Workshop 5' which did a highly satisfactory one-time process. In fact, I reformatted to 1280 x 720, 1600 clips which I had taken since last August, (keeping, of course the m2ts originals). It took me some hours to tee-up for processing each 100 clips per day, or thereabouts for overnight processing. Not every clip in 720 x 1080 is suitable for upscaling in this way; they have to be of good quality in the first-place, but I only upscale the 'standard' material as and when it is needed, because most of the material has come from 1920 x 1080. Downscaling from that format to 1280 x 720 is no problem, I have found. Image quality losses in that amount of downscaling are surprisingly low, as well. I didn't consider 1440 x 1080, because I do not like formats with non-square pixels.The finished format isAVC-1 'progressive', using a very good codec, which, handily, is identical to the one in my video editor as well, or can be set that way very easily. I'm looking forward to fairly rapid 'smart-renders' in the future.

Ian Smith - Dunedin, New Zealand.