You are here

San Jose, CA based videographers available for a wedding in October?

amberemckenzie's picture
Plus Member

Hello,

I've been a reader of Videomaker for years and I've made number of short films (and even a feature), but I've never shot a wedding. I was asked to shoot my cousin's wedding, but I don't feel I'm qualified. I've decided to leave that to the professionals. Are there anySan Jose, CA based videographers available for a wedding in October? I'm not sure what the budget is - that would have to be worked out with my cousin - but I know he is frantically looking for a videographer since I turned him down. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous (not verified)

Since his first choice was to go with a relative, I'm guessing the video budget is quite low (perhaps lower than a professional wedding videographer would accept). I would suggest you send him to www.BAPVA.com, and have him compose a message to those professional videographers who value quality, ethics and continuing education.

As the former President of the group, I'm confident that he will be in good hands.

Ed Rogers's picture
Plus Member

Amber,

May I recommend that you take the plunge and offer to document the wedding? Since you've been reading the magazine for so long, I'm pretty sure you've got the basic ideas. Why waste the investment of your time?! Plus you can give the finished product as their wedding gift ;) What gift can be a better show of your love?

I will give a few tips that you've no doubt heard before:

Try to use more than one camera. One that captures all the action from a distance, that you can stray from and one for B-roll (shots of guests, close-ups of the couple from a different angle, flowers, guest book, etc).

Make certain the microphone(s) you use are up to the task. THIS IS IMPORTANT! I use a wireless one and a shotgun.

Consider using an additional light, especially if the ceremony is in front of a window.

Try to acquire at least some of the photos taken during the ceremony. This will, at the very least, give you yet another option to cover any bad shots.

Try to survey the wedding site at least one day in advance. This will allow you to judge for light and sound requirements.

Last, but not least, make sure the batteries are charged and you have ALL your components.

The nice thing is you have time to plan. You also have all the resources this site has to offer. Come on back with any and all questions you can think of. Good Luck!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DesignCBTs?feature=mhee

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Amber, I like Ed's suggestion for shooting it yourself but I wouldn't plan on using that as your gift. If you do decide to shoot, an additional static cam is a definite plus. This is a live event and, unlike a planned shoot as in a feature or short, the 'acotrs' don't always hit their marks. I would strongly suggest attending the rehearsal, shoot some b-roll, watch the procesion of events and practice the placement of your cams. There has been many posts about shooting weddings on this site. Do a little research on this subject here and ask us any questions before you make your decision. Good luck with your decision.