You are here

Running RAID

Rex
Rex's picture
Plus Member

Does anyone here use a RAID configuration? I was thinking of running a RAID 0 but is it possible to still back every thing upcfrom the RAID drive/s on to a seprate drive? Or should I go with a RAID 6 config?

Well running a RAID configuration speed up my editing and rendering times?

Opinions and suggestions please.

topdog770's picture

Raid 0 buys you alot of extra performance, especially for IO intensive operations like rendering. It doesn't make ACCESS to the hard drive quicker, but it gives you alot more work capacity.

My experience has shown that two drives in raid 0 are about 40% faster than one drive. Adding an additional drive, for a total of three, adds another 10-15%.

To read and process a 9 GB file

My 4x SSD drives in raid 0, will read & processit in25.4 seconds

My single drive, also SSD, takes about 37.47

My external drive, using ESata connection, takes 55.7 seconds

Rob Grauert's picture

"Raid 0 buys you alot of extra performance, especially for IO intensive operations like rendering. It doesn't make ACCESS to the hard drive quicker, but it gives you alot more work capacity."

I'm pretty sure that's completely backwards. A RAID doesn't help you render faster. That rendering is up to the CPU or sometimes an I/O card. I'm not sure what you mean by "access to the hard drive," but a RAID certainly does increase throughput (depending on the RAID configuration).

"Well running a RAID configuration speed up my editing and rendering times?"

As I said above, a RAID doesn't help with rendering, but the increased throughput of data should help you edit faster.

It all really depends on what kind of media you're working with. You don't need a RAID with DV, but a RAID would be beneficial with DVCPro HD. If you're working with something like AVCHD and your computer is bogging down, most likely your computer is not decoding the Long GOP compression, which is a CPU issue, not throughput.

I was thinking of running a RAID 0 but is it possible to still back every thing upcfrom the RAID drive/s on to a seprate drive?

Yes. For example, if you're running a 2TB RAID0 with 4 drives striped together, you can dump all 2TB of data onto a single 2TB HDD. In fact, you can take anything from that RAID and back up any desired amount anywhere you want. It's only on the RAID itself where data is split up among all the drives. Your computer will know to bring all that data back together if it's transferring something from the RAID to something that isn't a RAID.

Rob Grauert's picture

A lot of times, a 2 drive RAID0 set up will suffice. I would suggest a G-Tech G-RAID or CalDigit VR. These plug-n-play RAIDs are quite reliable.

And always remember to have a RAID0 backed up. Even though I have never had one fail, they are the most likely to fail.

Rex
Rex's picture
Plus Member

Thank you for the information! Now, are is there a particular brand of Hard Drives that operate in a RAID configuration that are more dependable? Currently I am using two 500gb Western Digital 3.0gb/s Sata drives. I read some reviews saying that these particular drives don't handle RAID to well. Is that true? Should I steer towards a particular hard drive? I would love to go with SSD but the price and storage size are not enticing enough for me to drop the money yet. I will not go SSD until my next computer build. But in the mean time I would like to improve my time spent editing. Preview lag is the pits.

Rob Grauert's picture

I do know that some hard drives aren't the best for RAID set ups, however, I'm not exactly sure which drives are good and which are not. The IT guy at my work said Seagate drives are the best. If you're unsure, just make sure your media is backed up. Can't go wrong doing that

Jaimie's picture

When I first started editing HDV I realized that a RAID 0 array allowed me to capture footage without dropping any frames (previously, DV footage was adequately captured with a single drive). Now I have been using newer 7200 RPM drives with a 16MB or larger cache and they also capture HDV without dropping frames. I still use my RAID 0 array, but with the better single drives I don't really need it.

I have not seen any great improvement one way or the other while editing or rendering. As far as external drives go, I have found that esata and IEEE1394 connections work very well while I have had ramdom glitches when using USB 2.0. I don't know the reason for the poor USB performance, but it may be due to a packetizing delay, not average bit rate.