You are here

Royalty Free Music that doesn't suck

thunt's picture

There are so many providers of RF music out there, but does anyone know
of any providers with actual cool music? Some qualifiers...

1. Doesnt sound straight out some kid's synethesizing software (ie actually sounds produced)
2. Doesn't sound like it's from the 80's (or 90's for that matter) but sounds modern and cool
3. Doesn't cost rediculous amounts of money.
4. Actually has music that you can legitimitely use in a myriad of
corporate productions (ie its great to have these hard core cinematic
hollywood scores...but often they just sound dumb in a corporate
production). I need stuff I can use often in corporate videos, that just
sounds modern / slick.

I've had some success with some nice tracks from www.premiumbeat.com
- but they just dont have the largest range. What is there seems to be
good, but I feel like I have exhausted my options... I've requested
client access to killertracks.com - but they dont post the costs on
their site, and I have a feeling they are crazy expensive...

Are there any gems out there that I am not aware of?? I'd love to hear about it.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Corporate video is a big portion of my business and for that genre I use Sonic Fire Pro extensively, followed by Digital Juice Stack Traxx.

The SFP library is enormous plus they run specials very often and I have purchased many of their libraries for $20 each or less.

DJ has brought back their Stack Traxx for $20 or less each but you need to catch them when they happen.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

Rob Grauert's picture

We use Crucial Music at my work. You'll need to talk with them to discuss your needs and the purpose of your videos so they can determine a price. We don't do enough work to justify an annual subscription with them. So we just pay for each song individually when we make our videos.

We pay $150 per song, which is more expensive, but their service cut down a lot of time in our music search and the quality of music is much better. So it's worth the cost. If your videos are for sale, will be broadcast on TV, or used in a film, your cost will increase drastically.

theonecanoe's picture

Like a few other posters have mentioned, Smatrsound's Sonicfire Pro is a great music creation program.It lets you get very creative with mixing various instuments and varrying the length of the music score.You can download a trial version from their website and it includes 5 free songs oryou can buy the program from their website, I think it cost about a hundred bucks... But it also comes bundled in the Pro version of Roxio's Creator, which I bought on sale for $79 @ Staples, and they include in 10 royalty free tracks also.
-Wayne-

The Tune Peddler's picture

Sorry for the shameless self promotion but I'd like to mention my site www.thetunepeddler.com We have a free tunes page so you can use some of our tunes for free in your next project.

Our music has been used on The Discovery Channel, History, ESPN and many others. We're constantly adding music and offer unlimited downloads for a monthly subscription. You can also request a specific type of album and we'll try and get it out asap. With your subscription you also get a discount on any custom scoring you may need.

jonacosta's picture

I feel your pain!

These are all great suggestions. My personal favorite that i've been using for the last month or so is The Music Bed.

http://www.themusicbed.com/

It's got fresh music, the artists on here are actually relevant, and the tunes are so freakin' catchy that I looked up a few on spotify myself.

Definitely check it out. It'll make all those "royalty free music blues" go away. ;)

-Jon Acosta

portfolio: http://www.jonathanacosta.com

http://www.twitter.com/thejonacosta

Gregory Watts's picture

@ The Tune Peddler I am at your site, on site or via email after one signs up, do you have a release document?

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

@Gregory Watts

Upon request I will email a release form to the subscriber. So if you need one just send me and email after you sign up and I'll send it right over. Thanks for asking.

daxalain5's picture

@Tune Peddler: I checked your website and I saw a couple of good tracks that I can use for my video projects! I might sign up this month so I will be emailing you too about the release document. Thanks for sharing!

@daxalain5 Thanks for checking out my site. Please let me know if you need anything else. I'm always adding music and try to make the newest album released very different from the last album so there's something for everybody.

Anonymous (not verified)

Amazing prices $2.00-$5.00 Lowest on the Net. My music is featured on Americas got Talent, Big Brother, MTV, Sky Sports, Top Gear and others.

www.pond5.com/artist/DIAMONDSOUNDS
www.pond5.com/artist/PLATINUMSOUNDS
www.pond5.com/artist/futurelovers
www.pond5.com/artist/WARDRUMS

There really is no better deal on the internet than this.
High quality drama scores, piano works, orchestral pieces, battle drums, choral work, rock, funk, hip hop, house, dubstep, ambient and electronica.
Completely Royalty Free - full licence - no need to credit or report usage, lifetime licence, edit with no restrictions

George Milstein's picture

Give a try to high quality stock music marketplace:

http://LuckStock.com

Really good selection of hand-picked royalty free music for films, commercials and broadcasting.