You are here

Rendering 1080 60i footage for DVD w. Sony Vegas and TMPGEnc

Shaun Laframboise's picture

Hi all,

I've recently had to figure out how to render 1080 60i footage for a DVD and though I thought it would be easy, I found it very challenging to get decent quality. Below are my final notes of how I did it and I'm very happy with the results.

I've tried SO many methods, using scripts, frameservers, you name it, all of them that are on the web and none produced the quality I was looking for. Not sure why those methods didn't work for me, but they didn't, I had great support from this forum as well as a number of friends. So for what it's worth... if you're having trouble, try this method.

It's easier than a lot of them out there and will give you more than reputable results.

What you'll need:

Sony Vegas 11 (or similar NLE)

TMPGEncPlus 2.5 - you can test drive it for free or it costs $37 and is MORE than worth it for the time it's saved me, give the free version a test drive, you'll see.

Here's what I've done:

IN Sony Vegas:

• Project Properties should be matched to source material, make sure that Deinterlaced is on Blend Fields and Best Resolution
  • Edit with Project Properties in 8-bit mode, but do color correction work and rendering using the 32-bit full range, with gamma of 2.222
  • Make sure Sony Levels fx is on Main Video bus, select Computer RGB to Studio RGB, this is always done on the final bus AFTER all the other color processing
  • Click on all clips in the project and disable resample AND reduce interlace flicker
  • Render as video for windows .avi file, I chose the HD 1080-60I preset and changed the Video Format to UNCOMPRESSED, and made sure the project tab had BEST selected in the Video Rendering Quality prompt box.
  • Make sure that the Project tab has video rendering set to BEST, and that audio is included at the proper bit rate, etc.
  • Save that file and we'll use that file in TMPGEnc (Note that these files will be HUGE, but you can delete them after you get the final MPEG and Audio file for the DVD)

In TMPEGnc:

• select NTSC 16:9 under the DVD option tree, and make sure that PCM Audio is selected
  • Select your video file and correct any info that auto-populates, often I have to make sure it says it's interlaced and change the filed order to TOP FIELD first, aspect ratio stays at 1:1 (VGA)
  • I select the option for Noise Reduction and set it to High Quality
  • In "other settings", I select CQ, click settings and make the Max bit rate 8000, and the Min 1000. I then slide the slider to 100
  • Make sure that Encode mode is interlaced, and the Motion Serach estimate set to slowest,
  • In the advanced tab, select ghost reduction, Deinterlace (None), note that Noise Reduction will also be selected)

Click next and in the output file prompt, name your file and this will provide you with the MPEG2 and Audio file to export into your DVD Authoring Software.

Wah Lah... done.

Try it out and let us all know what you find. If other have suggestions of changes that might make this method even better, let us know. While I'm happy with what I got (really happy compared to many other methods I tried), I was able to compare what I got to high end encoders from an outside company. Theirs was a tad better (mostly when it came to title text), but not that much at all.

Happy Encoding all. Would love to hear feedback on successes and failures using this method.