could tell me how to remove the black area around video? When I play movies on
my Apple TV, there are always black area at the top and bottom of the screen. I
downloaded a kind of software named Handbrake, and convert movies to other
formats and set the ratio. However, it is so complicated. I think it is an
obstacle to enjoy movies because of the back area. Anybody could give me some
advice?

Thanks a million!

Rob Grauert's picture

Are you on a 4:3 TV?The black bars on top and bottom of the screen are due to letterboxing a 16:9 image on a 4:3 television. Without this the left and right of the image would be cut off so you could fill the entire screen, which is stupid and always results in ridiculous composition.

However, I thought Apple TV only worked on HDTVs. So if you have an HDTV, my guess is you converted your DVD to a 4:3 letterboxed image and your HDTV is stretching it horizontally.

shien's picture

Yes, 4:3 TV. Thank you, robgrauert! But
how doI deal with it? How doI get the full screen video?

Rob Grauert's picture

is the original video file 16:9 or 4:3?

If it's 16:9, then your TV is doing the letterbox and there may be a setting in a menu to change how it displays 16:9 video. Or maybe the Apple TV has a setting that changes how it displays 16:9 video on a 4:3 TV.

If the original video file is 4:3 with the black bars on the top and bottom, then you're probably stuck with that

there's nothing wrong with a letterboxed video. In fact, when it's letterboxed you're not losing any of the image. Is when the video is cropped to fill a 4:3 display that causes portions of the images to be cut off

shien's picture

Great Thanks! How
about crop the black area and then customize the resolution?

kaylawang's picture

To convert videos for watching with Apple TV, Aunsoft Video Converter is a good choice. It could easily convert almost all video formats including to H.264 m4v with full screen quality and perfect video/audio synchronization for playing on Apple TV