You are here

Real Estate Videos - what to charge?

newenglandguy's picture
I trying to branch out a bit and do some real estate videography for local realtors. I have the age-old dilemma of what to charge. I've looked on the net but haven't seen any pricing listed on any sites. I want to be affordable but don't want to sell myself short. I would imagine it would be a sliding scale based on the number of homes. I would include filming, edits, soft musical background, their narration of features, and provide a DVD for each house (total time of videoI would guess to be 3 to 5 minutes for each house.) Does anyone have any ideas?

creeksidek's picture
The buzz I get is $1.00 per $1000 on some of the high end stuff. Like $600 for a $600,000 property. I am just looking at getting into that market myself. I think that's probably a fair scale.

Philontilt's picture
This is pretty much my basic price sheet for individual homes. I freelance stuff from a website design company. They do a lot of websites for realtors. These videos go on the realtor's website. They average about 4 min. Hope this helps.

Video Walk Thru

Standard $250
Includes: Filming 5 rooms, front & back yard, editing, opening & closing, custom music & titles.

Extras $25
Rooms, garages, etc.

Mileage $.35 per mile
Anything over 20 miles

Personal Biography $200
Show your clients a bit about you set yourself apart from the rest.
Film at your office, your home, or location of your choice.
Additional locations $100 + mileage (as listed).

All videos will be done within 3 days of filming.

Philontilt's picture
I forgot to mention that I am getting paid for the freelance work by the website company, they charge the client 10% on top of my prices for the work and adding it to the website.

compusolver's picture
Interesting, that you feel that shooting an empty house is easier ($50 cheaper) than shooting a sales pitch from the realtor (bio). Doing a good job with the realtor is bound to take several times longer than shooting the house, especially if you count time spent on the script.

Philontilt's picture
Interesting, that you feel that shooting an empty house is easier ($50 cheaper) than shooting a sales pitch from the realtor (bio). Doing a good job with the realtor is bound to take several times longer than shooting the house, especially if you count time spent on the script.

Shooting the empty house is $50 more, there are more camera moves. I don't spend time on the script. The realtors all have thier own pitch. If they didn't they probably shouldn't be selling houses.

TrinaM's picture
I am considering adding this service to my business. I'm wondering -- would you share with me how you pitched this to the real estate agents? I mean, how did you go about getting their business in the first place? Is there great demand for this? I've looked at sites online, and have gotten a lot of ideas -- but, how would you recommend getting started in this area of videography? Any advice would be appreciated!

Philontilt's picture
This one fell in my lap. I was approached by the website design company about doing some video for them. They do a lot of work for realtors. I told them what I could do for them and gave them a price list. Then, like most new projects, I did about 5 of them for free. They put them up on the realtors sites and also a couple on their own site as demos and sent out a mass emailing to say "look what we can do for you now". It's kind of funny, realtors are really competitive and they don't like to see that someone else is doing something that they aren't. Everyone likes to be cutting edge, and more and more everyone is switching to some form of high speed internet. The website guys like to say they offer video services, the realtors like to say they offer video tours as part of their marketing plan to sell houses, everybody wins, including us. However, this is just my experience with it here in MN. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum who I am willing to bet could do a better job with marketing advice. Good luck.
Phil

TrinaM's picture
Thanks for the quick reply, Phil. I have connections with an agent in town who will arrange for me to present this idea to the agents in her company. As far as I can tell, NO ONE in our area is doing this, so I think there is a BIG opportunity here. I'm putting together some research right now to create a presentation, along with a few samples.

I really do appreciate your input -- is this primarily what you do? Does it keep you busy? Or do you have a number of video projects that you do?

Philontilt's picture
No, this isn't the only thing I do. That is one of the things that I like best about this line of work; there are so many things that you can do video for that it never really gets boring. I also do weddings (mainly in the summer months, this is Minnesota), sporting events (we have some cage fighting tournaments here, amateur UFC stuff, this is always fun, I get the best seat in the house), local commercials, and many other things. Couple that with being the festival director for a local film and video festival ( www.egofestival.com ) and having a wife and a one year old daughter, I stay very busy. I feel very grateful for the job and the life that I am blessed to wake up to each day. I wish you the best of luck with your project, and hope all goes well for your presentation. Oh yea, remember to make the video tour compatible for the MLS. That's usually the way they want them.
Phil

compusolver's picture
Amateur UFC? Then you must know Dan Severn (?) He was one of the early great UCF champs. I had a chance to interview him for www.maxfighting.com several years back, in Calgary. Good guy! He was trying to get amateur UFC style tournaments going up in Minn and some other areas.

TrinaM's picture
Cool -- I went to college in Minnesota -- grad of '93 MSU-Moorhead...lived in St. Cloud, Benson, friends ALL over the state. Been to Brainerd a few times. Beautiful.

Could you give me more specifics on the compatibility issue with MLS? Do they prefer Flash, WMV, or Real? About what size/how long should the finished clip be? Would I be expected to host the videos, or would they be posted on the agent's site? or directly on the MLS search site? Again, many questions, many thanks...

-T

Philontilt's picture
Compusolver-
I have never met Dan Severn. He has never been to any of our local events. However, I have had the opportunity to meet Dave Camarillo, Sean Sherk, and Matt Hughes. Our local hero is Brock Larson. He recently fought on a UFC Friday night fight in Las Vegas, the ones that are televised on Spike. These guys are some real athletes. It must have been cool to meet Dan. He is a bad ass. Severn, Ken Shamrock, and Royce Gracie really made the UFC what it is.

Trina-
I don't think I can help much with these questions. The web guys take care of all the hosting etc. They do stream it in Flash. Now if you were someone like Compusolver, who does websites, hosting, and video; well, I guess you would have it made. Now, when I said compatible to the MLS, what I meant by that was... Because the MLS is used by everyone, pictures or video cannot contain any advertising for a specific Realtor or company. Names or company for sale signs can't by used in the video. I guess I'm not 100% sure that is the way it is everywhere, but that is the way it is here in Minnesota. I know this wasn't much for technical help, but maybe some else can pick it up from there. Oh, just saw your other question. As far as length, depending on what they want (extra rooms, boathouse, etc.) and how big the house is, I stay between 2-4 min. Have fun, happy filming.
Phil

Rocktooloud's picture
Besides trying to sell houses through video, have any of you ever made video business cards for a realtor? How would you charge for this?

mward77095's picture
Hey Phil, can you direct us to some of the real estate vids that you have done? I would really like to see some examples.

stogtv's picture
Check out what Tony Chabot does at www.ewavemedia.com or Jody at grandcounty17.com

Charlie Stogner (www.leasedaccess.org)

Philontilt's picture
Here are a couple with the realtor in them that went on their website, but did not go in the MLS like this. I have a new one going up in a couple days.
http://welikeit.net/services_video.cfm

Fred Light's picture
I'm sure I'm going to get hate mail... but.... I've worked with REALTORS for about 8 years. My primary business is real estate websites.

Of course this is a generalization.... One thing I can tell you is that REALTORS do not spend money. They will spend money on a fancy car. Maybe even a nice house. Maybe nice clothes.

But (and especially in the recent real estate market), they won't spend a dime on marketing or advertising. In fact, most don't even understand the concept of marketing. Get a listing, plug a sign in the front yard, give it to the secretary to enter into the MLS system, and you've got 10 offers the next day.

As the market slows, many REALTORS will be joining the ranks of Sears grunts at the mall, no doubt. But even the most successful don't understand the concept of marketing. They don't understand you have to spend money to make money.

Unless your video tours are VERY reasonably priced, few will bite. Hell, most of these people take their own [lousy] photographs - and not even with their own camera, but with the 2000 Kodak 1 Megapixel office camera, because they're too cheap to buy their own, and they don't understand that good pictures sell homes.

Just like most REALTORS buy these cheap, cookie cutter template websites (they all look alike), because they don't want to spend the money doing it right.

Beware. It's an interesting group. :)

Tbone's picture
I am trying to be flexible with making money with video. I am selling my house and mentioned video to my realtor. He wants me to make a video of my house to help sell it and to see if he would like me to shoot videos of his listings in the future.
I was thinking of making them with QuickTime, but noticed that Phil's is in Flash. Is Flash the preferable way to go for these? What do I need to make my videos for Flash?

edallin's picture
Saw this post and thought I might be able to give you some insight. I can attest to the validity of the previous post by confirming the Real Estate Agents (in general) are not big spenders however I can assure you that there is indeed a market for these tours. Remember that you are competing against very low prices for the standard virtual tours that people have come to expect. Check out the IRVAN section of our site if you are interested shooting some videos. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
http://www.RealEstateVideos.com

Tbone's picture
Wow Eric!

How much for the Sapnish Main, and how much do school teachers make in the Bahamas?

I am finding it hard to get to making to video of my house because I need to finish some work to the house before I can bear to video it.

Thanks for the tip.

Tom

edallin's picture
The spanish main house was one of the first tours that we did. It has been several years so I don't remember the total cost. We charge $99 for a basic 5 scene tour and add $25 for each additional scene. We are looking for providers throughout the US to join our IRVAN network. (International Real Estate Video Affilitate Network). Please feel free to spread the word. Here are some links that explain the program:

http://www.realestatevideos.com/news.htm

dfwsphotog's picture
Gotta agree with NEGuy on his post. I had the same thoughts. Huge ego's in the RE biz and personal profiles and such would go over well and really tie the video listings together. No such luck. You might as well be talking to a fire hydrant trying to explain the difference between "virtual tours" and "video profiles". And when you meniton costs, they just shut down.

Be patient! This will happen and in a big way. Please, please...don't give it away.

windmill video's picture

I too have been trying to get into the real estate video market in my region. I currently work full time for a landscaping company, so all of my filming and editing is done outside of my regular working hours. I am hoping to transition into full time video work, and I would like real estate videos to be the main aspect of my work. Currently the way I have been charging is based on square footage. I charge $140 for the first 1000 square feet and $0.02 for each additional square foot. ($20 for every extra 1000 square feet) I usually put between 2 and 4 hours into a video. I have done around 25 listings so far, so I have a good portfolio to start meeting with more realtors and attract more work. My issue though is security of work. I had one realtor that was sending me regular work, and then he stopped. He said he had no room in his budget although he liked my work. I am wondering it would be a good idea for me to offer a good flat rate price for any sized home, with the signing of a one year contract. And include in the contract that in order to get the good rate I need to get at least 5 listings per month. This would at least give me a set base income to work with, and would give me work security. Does this sound like a good plan to work on? Or will this be something realtors would have no interest in? Here is a link to one of my videos - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZBkvWOlEh0&list=UU_9c2GT1dDH0LZQrMjB64c...