Rag Time the Musical

Luke Heights's picture

http://www.livehappyandsuccessful.com

New video.

Please watch and comment.

Adventures of Luke

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Many things could use improvement - The big ones for me (in the order in which they appear) are:

Titles - The black titles were difficult for me to read - Try better colors (like white) or even better - lower thirds.

Still images (@ 0:19, 0:55 ) - Difficult to see since they were only on the screen for a second - take them out or make them longer - use the Ken Burns effect.

On the audio during the interview (@ 0:38) someone off camera starts singing - very distracting for me to follow the interview at that point.

When JoAnne was speaking on stage (0:58 - 1:05) you moved the camera back and forth - a big no-no. Frame the shot (remember the rule of thirds) and let it be - don't move it

Your audio when interviewing JoAnne (1:06) sounded muffled.

Someone walked through the scene @3:00 - 3:14 - Very distracting - Either pick a better location, use some b-roll or re-do the interview.

At 3:48 - 3:54 you had shaky footage or moved the camera again or zoomed quickly - A very distracting few seconds - Not necessary for the video and I would remove it altogether.

At 3:55 you pan the camera down to frame you for the first few seconds of your closing - Again, frame the shot and leave it be.

Also, the exposure and colors for your closing are way off.

The background image for your closing credits is way too dark. The credits themselves were needless - When it's all about Luke just put one major "Produced by" and don't leave off your last name unless you are well known by your first name alone (Madonna, Prince, etc...).

Overall it was a difficult video to get through - I think it would benefit you to take some training courses on basic cinematography, video production, etc... (Videomaker.com has some good ones) and try to improve your overall approach to video production as a whole. I can understand when things pop up unexpectedly and you can only try to fix them in post (like audio problems or glitches in the tape, etc...) but these should be exceptions, not the rule.

Just MHO.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

MediaFish's picture

Difficult to get through - birdcat listed most of the issues. For me, there is just too much to list.

Jeff Media Fish Productions

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

Luke, I watched most of the video but as previous posters suggested it is difficult to finish. I salute your effort but some improvements could make it more watchable. Audio is very important to capturing and keeping the viewers' attention. Placing a mike on the interviewed (hard wired or wireless) with wind protector in place will give you a great start to have excellent audio. Some work in post is sometimes necessary to put the finishing touches to provide that knock out sounding audio. While shooting an interview, be attentive to the background and surroundings. The focus should be on the interview participants. Be very careful about how much you leave in your video, less is usually more.

doublehamm's picture

Remember he is the one looking for talented editor's for cheap and he will keep them busy.

The audio for the most part was coming from the left speaker only - and seemed a bit too loud and distorted. It really made me feel like I went deaf in one ear and was very distracting. Learn how to balance your audio. Most other issues have been covered already.