You are here

Progressive Scan (24p or 30p)

fre31229's picture

I hate to rehash this topic and I've read through thematerial I found via forum searches, but I'm still confused. Do I want to film in 24p or 30p or progressive scan at all?

They say 24p is for movies andmost commericals are filmed in 30p. Not sure which is supposed to be better and why.

I film youth sports with my new Sony FX1000 and saw some footage this weekend from someone who I know doesn't have as an expensive camera as mine, and the clarity just blew me away. I figuredI must be doing something wrong. Either my camera, editing software (Pinncle v12 Ulimate) or media (DVD-R) is not giving me the best clarity. I use DVD-R media because not sure what player the parents have that will support viewing the footage.

Help.

Coreece's picture

if you're not really sure what you wanna do, it's probably best to shoot in 60i.60i can be converted to 24p more accurately and percisely than 30p if necessary....shooting in this format will leave your options open.

Sports footage should be shot in 60i...if you don't wanna shoot 60i then go with 30p...24p is overated and doestn't like quick movements....24p may be more practical when shootings coreograpghed scenes...

Also, don't expect HD quality if you areburning regularSD DVD's....however, the quality should still be slighly better than SD.

Also....frame rate shouldn't necessarily affect the the quality to the point of artifacts or pixelation...if this is the case, it is likely you aren't using optimized compression settings or you are converting the footage too many times between the time the footage leaves the camera and is burned to dvd.

fre31229's picture

The video files come across as .m2v, I believe, with 2 separate audio .wav files (left and right channels) my guess. Pinnacle is able to use that format for editing.

Does that format make a big difference in the quality?

Coreece's picture

(.m2v) Does that format make a big difference in the quality?

yes...this is a standard definiton dvd mpeg 2 file.

you canstill burn small HD videos to a dvd, but the recipients will still need a blu-ray player to view the HD quality and there are still some serious compatibility problems if you're using a dvd-r and not a blu-ray disc....

Rob Grauert's picture

I agree. Don't bother shooting in 24p. These days, there's way too much hype on trying to achieve the "film look" and not enough emphasis on learning fundamentals. Do yourself a favor and shoot 30i like Coreece said. In the future, if you are working on a production that has a budget and someone is making you shoot 24p, then shoot 60p and apply a 2:3 pulldown.

And are you editing .m2v? You shouldn't be editing mpeg video. It should be in the NTSC format.