You are here

Post Production Monitor Questions...

navyspecwarfare's picture

So here goes...

I shot an immense amount of footage in AVCHD from a Canon prosumer Vixia. Have 1920 x 1080 .MTS files that now need editing.

Here is the deal though...

I originally shot it in HD, need to first release it in SD due to media prices, but then want the option to release it in HD later when blu-ray discs go down in price. Need to know how to set-up the templates properly in Sony Vegas Pro as well as monitors for editing. A bit confusing for me since I shot in HD, need to edit it but then output to SD, but then need to output in future to HD.

My questions are as follows:

How should I set-up the Sony Vegas Pro template for my project and for color correction? Should I set it up as 1920 x 1080i HD even though it is going out first to standard definition 720 x 480? Or should I set up the template as 720 x 480 standard NTSC? How will the final decision affect future desires to output to Blu-ray as high definition?

How should I set up the monitors for color correction? Should I set up a CRT via firewire so that I can see what it looks like on a standard definition CRT? Or should I output to a 1920 x 1080 LCD computer monitor? Or both? Will color correcting in one format (HD) make it look funky in another format (SD) and vice-versa?

What to recommend since I originally shot it in HD, need to first release it in SD, but then want the option to release it in HD later?

Many thanks for the help; in the gurus I trust!

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Specwar,

Do your edit in the native footage (i.e. HD.) Make an HD digital print (the entire project burnt out to an uncompressed AVI or Quicktime movie. Take that DP and then transfer it into an SD 16x9 version for DVD. When you're ready to author you'll have the HD version to use.

If you can set up your monitor via HDMI, that should be your first choice. If you have a RGB RCA cable to hook up to an HD TV or monitor if you don't have HDMI. You need to view the HD footage on an HD capable monitor preferably in the native resolution (720p or 1080i/p.) When you want to see it in SD then use the SD version you made and reset your monitor for SD (720 x 480) to see it properly in that format.

But definitely do your HD cut first with any transitions and color-correction/grading in the native format before making an SD version.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

navyspecwarfare's picture

It has been a long time...I remember you helping me out almost a year ago...many thanks.

Finally finished shooting...300+ GB of footage. Will make 25 completed DVDs when finished with post-production...finally am getting to editing now...just wanted to clear some things up before spending a lot of time doing it as I don't want to have to undo anything later.

Is it safe to say then that I should just set up my template in Vegas as HD, do my editing as such, outputting via HDMI or DVI to my 1920 x 1080 LCD, and then just render as MPEG-2 for DVD output or HD for Blu-Ray of my choosing? -or will that cause problems when my template doesn't match the output/render as settings?

Logically, I would think it wouldn't matter as the project file within Vegas should be the same regardless, and that only it's output format would change when rendering...

Want to make sure it's done right though...

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Specwar,

Yes, just edit your projects in HD and then cut out an uncompressed digital print that contains all your effects and color correction, titles and what not as the finished product. Use that as your master copy to make your SD version and later on if needed a Blu-Ray version. View it in HD while you're editing on your HD monitor. When you res it down to SD, view that version on an SD capable monitor to make sure you're good to go. Long as you set up the original template correctly for HD you will be fine for everything else.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com