You are here

Pinnacle vs Final Cut Pro .. difference in quality ?

Mike Comeau's picture

All things being equal, does Final Cut Pro render videos at a higher quality level than Pinnacle Studio ?
Let's say we're going to rendera finished video into a 1080p .mov file
(H264 compression) with my Pinnacle software .. and with your FCP software....

Would they both come out the same ? Same size ? and same quality ?

I'd appreciate your feedback, guys. Thanks.
-Mike
www.vtne.com

Mike Comeau's picture

Thank you, Rob. Does this Matrox card work with Pinnacle ?

I'm still waiting for a DEFINITIVE answer on this, not just a "I think so". I hope someone else can reply.
Is it possible this samevideorendered withFCP would be just as beautiful, yet smaller in size, than the Pinnacle version?

Rick Crampton's picture

Mike asks:

" Is it possible this samevideorendered withFCP would be just as beautiful, yet smaller in size, than the Pinnacle version? "

Why do I get the feeling that you've experienced this and that you're fishing for an explaination for the smaller size?

Rick Crampton

Mike Comeau's picture

Rick, thanks for sharing your "feelings", but can you contribute something valuable to this or not ?

Mike Comeau's picture

Thanks, doublehamm.

Could I ask another question ?
Do you happen to know if upgrading to afaster NVidia or other graphics card would improve rendering efficiency and speed for Pinnacle Studio ? I have heard that the card may or may not have a direct effect, depending on the editing software used.
Any thoughts on this ?

doublehamm's picture

I don't believe it does. I know rendering in Pinnacle can be painfully slow, I have used it a lot. That may change soon though as many NLEs are starting to utilize the GPU.

Mike Comeau's picture

Thanks again.
I have heard that upping the speed of my graphics card will definitely help with speed. Why would you "not believe" this to be true ? What do you base that on ?
And, forgive me .. what's a GPU exactly ? and, editing systems are starting to utilize them ? No clue what that means .. could you elaborate, please ?
Thanks.
-Mike
www.flexflicks.com

Cville's picture

Mike

The GPU is the graphics processor on the video card. Not all software utilizes the GPU. For instance Sony Vegas Pro just added that to Version 11. Prior to that all processing was handled by the CPU on your motherboard.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Mike Comeau's picture

Interesting. Thanks.
See, thats what I curious about, exactly ! If Pinnacle utilizes the GPU, upgrading to a better card would benefit me. Otherwise, it wouldnt.
Is that accurate ?
I wonder if Pinnacle does utilize the card ... I'll have to research that.
Thank you !!!!

doublehamm's picture

Vegas added GPU support in Pro 10, but it was no where near as powerful as when it was polished up for 11. And Mike, you seem to have a couple threads going asking the same question. I answered your GPU question a couple days ago in another thread before you even asked it in this one.

Cville's picture

@doublehamm Thanks for the correction. My memory is a little behind. I didn't update my video card to take advantage until version 11.

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

Mike Comeau's picture

Well, i might not have been totally satisfied with your answer before. In fact, forgive me but, I didn`t ask about VEGAS ! I was asking about Pinnacle Studio. <br />Vegas info does me no good whatsoever.</p>
<p>Can someone give me a DEFINITIVE answer on whether Pinnacle Studio 15 utilizes the GPU ? I don`t want to buy a high priced card if it is irrelevant.

doublehamm's picture

Chill man! I was just pointing out that you have similar questions in
different threads going. I stated exactly what the GPU was in the other
thread. And as far as Pinnacle I stated I have used it and it renders
at about 5% of the speed of Vegas which I also use. I cannot tell you
exactly if Pinnacle is using the GPU or not, but it does render at a
pace closer to what a CPU would do. Vegas with GPU rendering is 20x
faster. Try asking on the Pinnacle site if you want a definitive
answer, I can only pass along my experiences.

Don't care to be yelled at and being told I am insufficient when I took my own time that I did not have to do to try and help someone out.