You are here

Performance of Canon XA 10 on a Mac Pro

frelizdow's picture

1. I have a Mac Pro & would like to buy a canon XA10 but need some clarification The canon XA10 has 1 CMOS sensor just like other high end canon video cameras like canon XF100 & XF105. How come 1 CMOS is able to produce picture quality like a 3 CMOS or 3 CCD video camera?

2. Does anyone know how the XA10 performs in video editing using the Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro? Do some adjustments have to be made before it can be used on the Mac Pro, and if so what are they?

Just beginning to learn video editing and i need some pointers.

Fred

Rob Grauert's picture

"How come 1 CMOS is able to produce picture quality like a 3 CMOS or 3 CCD video camera?"

1 CMOS sensor will not be the same as 3 CMOS sensors. 3 CMOS sensors will likely produce better color reproduction. I'm not sure how 1CMOS stacks up against 3CCD, though.

"Does anyone know how the XA10 performs in video editing using the Final Cut or Adobe Premiere Pro?"

When working in FCP, set your timeline's Compressor to ProRes422. I'm not sure about Premiere.

Charles Schultz's picture

Premiere Pro works quite well with AVCHD video as long is it is after CS3. The only problem with this type of file is that it is very CPU intensive and if your system is not pretty beefy, it can take a while for it to render.

makerofvideos's picture

Rob, should I set my Easy Setup to ProRes422 when capturing? Is that what you mean? Is that the general rule for all AVCHD and FCP 7?

One more question: Do you think multicam shoots can be edited using material shot on the XA10?

John Francis's picture

"One more question: Do you think multicam shoots can be edited using material shot on the XA10?"

I've been using a combination of AVCHD footage and Panasonic P2 for a while now, editing in FCP 7, with no problems.

As to the XA10, check out this little clip (which I think you'll find amusing), shot using automatic settings, a Rode NG-2 camera-mounted shotgun, and camera-mounted lighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjE3QlZz4-M

projectamarx's picture

Hey John I know im late on this question but im looking at the xa10 and i have FCP7 i was wondering what setting do you use to get the AVCHD footage into FCP7