You are here

outdoor sports video recording

mpbalda's picture

I record my sons soccer games for his high school. Recording is done from midfield at the top of the grandstand. On older fields where the pole mounted lights are lower and the lights are aimed more 'out' than down, the recorded video comes out with very poor color quality. It has a purple tinge throughout the entire video. On newer fields where the lights are higher and the lights are aimed more 'down' than out, the video is fine. It appears that the sport lighting is messing with the auto color settings of the camera. The camera is a Panasonic HDC HS250. Recording is typically done at 1920 x 1080 in full auto mode (iA on). I have tried several different modes and qualities and nothing seems to correct this. Any suggestions.

CraftersOfLight's picture
Plus Member

Review the operators manual and learn what you can about the manual modes that are available.

It could be something as simple as turning the Auto mode off and white-balancing on a white object under those same lights.

Life is not a guided tour nor a destination. It is a journey. Take the time to enjoy your family, friends and surroundings. Build memories. Share experiences. Travel at sight speed not light speed. (C)

pseudosafari's picture

Purple tinge sounds like something a lens filter might help, too. I'm no expert on filters, buta UV filter might help reduce purple light and you can buy cheap ones on ebay (you might need a pretty good one to get the effect you need, but maybe you can start with a cheaper one to see if it helps--cheaper ones sometimes degrade your picture quality a bit but you can't know that until you try them). There might be other filter types of filters that would help, too, but I did find this with Google; hope this helps.

http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/remove-purple-fringing.html

Yvon Robert's picture

Hi,

2 way to correct this,

Grinner has the right answer and cost nothing except read the manual on white balance plus experiment.

The other solution need info about light used to yhe game field, if they use only one kind of light you can find a filter to correct the situation if they use mixed light system with mercury and other system like sodium if very difficult to find a filter or filters to work. Normally mixing light systems get in trouble.

Regards,

YR

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

When I produce soccer or other sports videos I obtain access to the field, bring my shooter's ladder and videotape from there. I will occasionally climb down for a few sideline positions at the goals or for shots of the benched players or coaches.

This has made a tremendous difference in what happens with the lighting, as even the shorter more direct lights aren't hitting my lens so heavy as they would be if I'm up in the stands.

That and the suggested manual white balance is key to avoiding weird coloration and flare/glare from the more direct lighting systems. I've run across guys who claim to use a half-ND filter with the top half above the horizon and the bottom half clear or coated. I've not tried that. While on the one hand it makes some kind of sense, on the other, being fairly familiar with the run and gun aspects of game shooting, it seems such a device might be more hassle than it's worth.

The biggest problem I see, from my experience, is that with you up in the stands all that light is sure to stream right into your camera lens, causing flare, glare, your particular problem and much more aggravation.

I always follow the ball except when I'm hired by a player or parent to shoot a specific player, then I follow that player during action, the game when the player is benched, and the ball when the player (of course) is involved. If the player isn't actively engaged I move to the action as well. I rarely show full field, except maybe once or twice to establish a setup or want to add the entire two teams in a segment, then cut to each of the goals.