You are here

only 4gb's of recording on each clip?

Shaun Laframboise's picture

Hey all, I just recorded an 8 hour lecture with my TM900 and expected to have one big
file but I have a number of files that are 4gb's. I can easily drag and
drop them into Vegas but where they trim the audio dips out for a split second. That really sucks. Any way around this???

D0n
D0n's picture

check your audio setting for fade in fade out settings?

Checked all option on camera as well as vegas... can't see anything that affects that.. seems like something the camera does to the file.. would that seriously be the case... I had asked the guy at BH before I bought this as I thought I heard something about that, but he said that no, they didn't do this.. and now I'm seeing that it DOES!

Anyone have a way to adjust/fix this?

doublehamm's picture

Is there software that came with the camera? Almost ALL digital cameras
split up video files like this due to almost all of them formatting
their cards in FAT32. Even Professional cameras. HOWEVER, there is
usually a solution that comes with using software that is either
supplied with the camera or downloadable online. If you import the
video with the software it will stitch the files together into one large
file and even eliminate what appears to be missing audio ( the
information IS still there but stored differently). My Panasonic TM750 I believe came supplied with software, although its main use is a last resort backup camera so I never have had to use it. I just dealt with the split files the few times it was an issue.

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

It has been my understanding that there is indeed an audio gap in some units that have the limited file setup, automatically going to another file when hitting the limits, and actually losing a split second or whatever of the continuous audio.

It has been my understanding that people with units having this limitation have had to go to standalone digital recorders or other methods for obtaining continuous audio to offset this problem, or have had to learn to operate within the limitations and lost audio.

Nothing to my knowledge exists in software that can replace audio that wasn't captured.

Steve Fenstermacher's picture
Plus Member

Good point for a brief transition effect.

My Sony HDR-CX7 records to files larger than 4 Gb, but I cannot copy those files to USB flash drives, regardless of the capacity.

doublehamm's picture

Earl, the files I have if loaded separately into Vegas seem to be
missing a split second of sound, and even a frame or 3 of video. If
loaded correctly using software, it is all stitched together and
everything is there in tact. My Z5s for example, I went an entire year dealing with this issue before figuring out that there was software that came with my camera that was intended to be used to do the trick! Sometimes reading manuals helps ;)

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Shaun, found the following after a good bit of searching on Google, at sonytalk.com regarding ingesting TM 900 files. See if any of this helps.

The problem that you are having is not new with these cameras. There is a file size limit that splits them in to segments. When the clips are put on the time line of your editor, and merged together, and played back there are dropped frames at the beginning and at the end of the clips, which seems to be the problem you are having. There are two methods that avoid the splitting of clips with no drop outs, one is to use the software that comes with the camera (HD Writer) or using a Dos Batch Binery command.
Here is a link to the discussion of this problem: (Sorry about no hyper links)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/avchd-format-discussion/113083-canon-vixia-hg10-2gb-file-limit-headache.html

Here is the method of doing a binery command:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=84003

Eugene Rohland's picture

"My Sony HDR-CX7 records to files larger than 4 Gb, but I cannot copy
those files to USB flash drives, regardless of the capacity". -
cfxcorp

I found the solution just last week. I had bought a 16GB flash drive with the intention of copying a 11GB HD video to it. No chance. You have to reformat the flash drive with the File System setting changed from FAT32 to NTFS.

Well, this is what I found. And it's EASY! This is post from another forum:

I use the Device Explorer tool in Vegas (Movie Studio or Pro) for importing the AVCHD footage.
I have never had a problem with importing footage, image or audio.
The individual files on the flash cards do get joined together into one continuous file/take.

In order to use the device explorer, you can go here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/video-software/using-the-device-explorer-in-vegas-movie-studio.html

Solved my issues! Very happy! Thanks for all your thorough support! [This is still my favorite forum ;]

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Great resolution to the problem. Now here's the icing on the cake.

If you reformat your flash memory card you will lose all the files that are already on it.

Instead of the "reformat command try using the "convert" command. Go to the START menu; select ALL PROGRAMS; Select ACCESSORIES, then the COMMAND PROMPT.

In the Command Prompt window type "convert D: /fs:ntfs" (without the quotation marks, of course) using whatever drive designator is appropriate. (I used "D" as an example.) Note that there is a space between "convert" and the drive designator, another between the colon and the slash.

This converts the card file system from FAT32, which is how most flash memory cards come formatted, to NTFS, and will allow recording more than 4gb blocks of data. And it should do this without erasing your data.

Jack