You are here

One Camera Wedding Shoot....

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I was reading some follow-up answers to a novice videographer's questions on a wedding he wanted to shoot and saw recommendations for multiple cameras to cover the wedding.

Though I agree with that, what do you do if you only have one camera available? Here's a wedding film I shot as a Crew of II (one video, one still.) It was tough on the day of the shoot and I didn't get certain shots (bride & groom prep), but the client was very happy. I also don't recommend doing this without a lot of experience and plenty of rest beforehand which I didn't have! It's about 20 mins, so if you can't sit and watch that long don't sweat it.

Mr & Mrs H

vid-e-o-man's picture
Plus Member

composite, one video camera and lots of skill in the edit room! Enjoyed it although I fast forwarded through some of it. That is the most unusual intro sequence for a wedding video I have ever seen. Keep shooting.

Gregory Watts's picture

My first thought at seeing the entro was the movie "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" And what Lou said is true, it seems like every time we find that right woman she turns out to be outside what we thought she would be. Cj was like that for me. She was from the north, and quick temper, but she was my balance.

This was an excellent display of a one camera job. Props to you. I have a question, did the couple understand and work with you because of the one camera? Like waiting until you got into a new position etc. Nevertheless this turned out good.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Thanks for the nods. It was a three person crew on a two day shoot. First day we shot all the greenscreen stuff which was really fun for the couple and the crew. You're right, the theme of the film was 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' so we set them up as secret operatives living normal lives away from work. It was interesting because it got really personal during the interviews and there were some poignant moments that went into the special features section.

Tough part was the wedding shoot. My grip went down with the flu and the night before, I whipped up a trailer using footage and photos shot prior to and during the greenscreen shoot. Though I had a significant amount of assets already prepared, I was up until dawn getting it ready to show during the reception. So with no sleep and no grip, I went forth. The families were really cooperative as we told them we were shooting a movie not a video. Once the wedding started though, the Photographer and I were running and gunning. The couple and I worked out their positions during the rehearsal the previous day.

It had been a long time since I'd shot a wedding so it was good experience to do one again. Doing it with a movie feel made it much more interesting for the couple and me for that matter. Having shot events before, weddings are harder as you hold someone's dream in your hands. Fortunately, I'd worked with Lou on other projects so he knew I'd come up with something. Even so, he said I still managed to surprise him. So despite feeling like I was beat with a rubber hose after the shoot, that was worth all the effort.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

Gregory Watts's picture

Well since I picked up on the "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" you captured the feel, and pulled it off, nice work.

"A Photo Captures but a Moment in Time: Video Captures a Lifetime in a Moment"

D0n
D0n's picture

awesome stuff!

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Video,

Yeah, the opener was fun to do. I went for the old 70's style action film feel and the rest was something I came up with on the spur.

Tasana,

I had to watch 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' several times to get the feel of it and translate it to my film. Apparently, the research helped. Thanks again for the nod.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

gunney51's picture

I like that, you have given me more motivation to keep going forward. I used to video weddings back in the VHS/DV days. Just purchased new equipment and seeking advice, getting trained all over again. Learning from videographers like you. Thanks for sharing.

Ben Chapman's picture

Awesome idea, we do a lot of messages but have never done in depth ones like that with the bride and groom :). just sent your video to a couple to show the idea, and suggest a cinematic/cut with footage from wedding version of it.

Definitely gonna have a look/discussion into best sort of title credits now as well :).

is a trailer for a wedding I shot, one person 2 cameras. 

Would love some feedback :). As I move forwards with more weddings (21, been making films since 14, graduated last summer shot loads since) I'm looking at combining the cinematic side thats there with better story side stuff :) thoughts

Ben

www.eternaliris.com

jamwalt's picture

Carroll I visited your site. Its a beauty, well put together and would readily recommend you to anyone.

jamwalt's picture

Thanks so much for posting this video. I am just starting as a freelancer with a single camera. Its what I can afford right now. You provided me with some valuable insights. Hope to learn some more from you. Here is a 5min. footage of the only wedding I have done so far in Brooklyn,NY(with a caribbean flavor). I have a lot more to learn from you guys. your recommendations will be more than welcomed.

Link for footage: http://www.rogerwaltersposts.tumblr.com/

Cville's picture

One man weddings can be done and can be done well with planning.   This is a wedding highlight video from a one man shoot.  This was for my sons wedding. My friend did the shoot and I edited it.   Still working on the complete wedding documentary.   This was shot with two sony NEX VG20's along with the wide shot witch was from a gopro. All was shot at 24P. 

We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.- Walt Disney 

www.ynotvideo.us

John Summerfield's picture

I would personally never shoot a full Feature wedding video with one videographer coverage, as I don't believe it would do justice to the day, my feeling is that there's just not the depth of footage. The most I'll commit to is producing a 4-5 minute wedding highlights film. On the other hand if you're just going to pick an angle and let it run, thats different. This is a wedding highlights film I shot solo last summer... simple and nice:

https://vimeo.com/69115366

Best,

John

John Summerfield

Producer

Summerfield Films

http://summerfieldfilms.ca