You are here

older MAC BOOK PRO needs upgrade!!!!

kirlo's picture

Hello everyone,

I am new in this forum even if I have been reading you since a while...

I need a little help and advice regarding my equipment.

I am editing videos and when I manage HD or HDTV is really impossible with my old MAC BOOK PRO 15"

here is the details of my old mac:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f3
Serial Number (system): W883213AYK0
Hardware UUID: 29ED50A5-EA39-5E4D-9FA1-707C3B809B3E
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I believe I can upgrade the memory, would that be helpful enough to run FCP 6 and HD files in decent way?....or......?

I am working on shorter formats so just need a little kick for now.

Thanks in advance for your help...(I am girl and not techy much just can't do it myself)

cheers

:):)

Kenkyusha's picture

Increasing your RAM will help, but FCP 6 is a 32bit program, meaning that it is limited to using a maximum of 4GB.  For editing HD material in FCP 6/7, you'll want (or need if it is h.264 or AVCHD) to transcode your footage to ProRes.

Even with a RAM upgrade, you will still want to schedule your projects to render while you can work on something else... like reading a Russian novel... 

Rob Grauert's picture

Upgrading to 4GB of RAM might help, but I doubt it will be noticeable. FCP doesn't utilize RAM for much.

I'm more interested how you manage your media. If your video clips are all stored on your computer's system drive - the drive with the OS and applications - that will drastically slow down any computer's performance.

All your media - photos, videos, music, etc - should live on an external drive(s). Your video products and the media associated should live on a RAID.

If you're not already managing your media in this manner, I suggested moving all your media and projects to a G-RAID (and always have a backup too). Then do a fresh re-install of the OS and your software. The ONLY things that should be loaded to your system drive should be the OS and software.

There are better RAIDs out there too, but the G-RAID is affordable and reliable.

kirlo's picture

Hi Kenkyusha- thanks for your help!!! :)) yes I will try to increase to 4 GB, and have all the footage on PRO-RES if this will help, I never really thought about it..I normally sets sequences and projects at the same format of the rushes.

Any particular Russian novels to advice me. ;) eheh

kirlo's picture

I do have all my media that I use on the project on HD Lacie firewire 800 external and, I have set FCP rendering folders and so on to it as well....

is this what you mean?

or.. you meant I should clear any other media I have on my computer's Hard disk a part from appilcations even if not related to my project?

Thanks Rob