You are here

Newb trying to decide between FCP APP or Sony Vegas

fuccisphotos's picture

I'm a wedding photographer who has just started using her 5dMKii to make promotional videos and vlog entries on my blog. With some of my past projects in iMovie, there would be blockyness in the blacks and grays. So I went to apple and they told me the blockyness problem I was having was that iMovie was unavoidably compressing my files from my 5DmkII output during the transcoding, they suggested switching to Final Cut Pro. In asking a few of the videographer's I've worked with, none of them have mentioned working with FCP. They are either working with Vegas or Premier. FCP is considerably cheaper at $299 (although I see I may need motion and compressor if any of my clients ask for DVD movies with pictures). Sony Vegas Pro is $599.95. And Premiere Pro is $799. Vegas and Premiere have to have something that FCP doesn't for that difference in price right? I'm just wondering for me as a wedding photographer, who is only using this to do the occasional video editing, does it make sense to spend the extra $300-400 bucks. I don't want to buy FCP and then realize, d'oh actually in a month or two of using FCP I realize I want/need Vegas or Premiere. So for those who have used them all, what do you think of them and the differences between them? Also what's the learning curve like? I'll be coming from iMovie, which I have pushed to its editing limits, and I know CS4 Photoshop well. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Rob Grauert's picture

It's a shame you didn't ask this a few days ago. Adobe Premiere Premium was only $850 up until yesterday (it's usually $1700). You would have had everything you'd need for quite some time.

FCP used to be very capable, up through FCP7. Now that they have released FCP X, it's more for consumers/prosumers, in my opinion. However, it might be enough for you since you work by yourself. Basically, FCP X doesn't play nice with other programs (no XML, OMF, etc. exporting), it doesn't allow for monitoring via external monitor, media management is different (and seems clunky in my opinion), it doesn't handle codecs natively, and there's a whole bunch of other problems that make pros hate it. But you said yourself you will only be editing occasionally, and it sounds like you'll be working by yourself. So it might be fine for you. I can't say much more than that. I've only read about it. I haven't bothered to buy it.

Adobe has come a long way and is very capable these days. Apparently it works flawlessly with the other Adobe programs, too. It works will with all codecs natively, which is a big plus. And depending on the computer model you own, you may be able to take advantage of the GPU acceleration and 64-bit processing. I just got the Premiere Premium bundle the other day and am looking forward to digging in.

You sound like you're on a Mac, so I don't think you'll be able to use Sony Vegas. I don't think they make it for Mac...

fuccisphotos's picture

Wow that's PAINFUL because I had wanted to upgrade to CS5 for photoshop, but had given up since it was so expensive and figured I'd live with CS4 for now. I will call them first thing tomorrow. Wish me luck! If not, I'll probably go with FCP X because the nice thing is I have a huge apple store down the street from me where they are willing to help me out if I get stuck on something. I won't have that help from Adobe.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Vail,

You're better off with FCP or Premiere since you're a Mac user. Vegas is PC only so you'd have to make a Win Partition on your main drive and deal with Bootcamp. I've got friends who use macs and did the bootcamp thing to use Vegas and they all say it works better on a PC rig.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

fuccisphotos's picture

robGRAUERT you just saved me a TON of moula! That old deal was done, but they gave me an even better one for what I needed! I had CS4 extended, and was dying to be able to upgrade even just my photoshop to CS5. They ended up giving me some bizarro upgrade with 20% off, but it resulted in me getting CS5 production premium, so I will get that new Photoshop I wanted, and Premiere and After effects, all for 520+tax. I lose my most current version of acrobat pro and dream weaver, but I have an older version of acrobat pro and I never use dreamweaver any more. So HOOOOOORAY!!!!! you rock my socks! Thank you!!!!