You are here

Need help with video editing...Thanks.

fromusofa's picture

I am fairly new in video editing and I want to make a DVD with best image/resolution/audio quality from 48 small *.avi clips ranging from 53 to 55 MB in size and about 5 to 5.5 minutes long play time. They all have about 29.70 seconds of startup routine that I want to cut off from all except one clip that would be the first clip. Currently the combined size of all the clips is about 2.5 GB but, I think, after removing first 29.70 seconds of video from 47 of them would probably make the total data size of 2.3 GB?so how can I edit and burn these clips in more time-efficient way on a 4.7 GB DVD-R which I can play on a regular DVD player to watch on a TV? Can somebody help me with this small project? Thanks in Advance!

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

It all really depends on your current hardware/software war chest. MOST editing programs should allow for the ingesting/import of your clips, then allow for removal of the one-minute startup before exporting/burning to a DVD.

Even a simple Mac-based system using iMOVIE and iDVD would allow you to do this, placing a fade-in/fade-out or other spacer between the sequences, even insert chapter markers that would carry with the project when you exported to iDVD.

This assumes that you can work with .avi in iMovie. I don't know the answer to that specifically. But it is my understanding that MOST editing programs do work with .avi files. Others who know more, am I wrong or can you expand on this thread for From US of A?

Dunno that any of the possible processes would be particularly MORE/LESS time-efficient (read, automatic) but it wouldn't take me very long provided I knew how to use whatever editing program at my disposal.

At any rate, 2.3 GB would/should fit nicely at a high quality setting on a 4.7 GB single-layer disk.

fromusofa's picture

Thanks a lot Earl. well, I don't even have a Mac...so anyways, I think I am just going to use Windows Movie maker and import those clips in the program interface and then manually edit them to cut the first 30 secs from each clip and then merge them or probably just let thembe sepearte clips, save them and just use a DVD authoring software...I think I am just lazy and editing all those 48 clips one by one would take a while...so I was just looking for a short cut technique or something...

brinho's picture

Hey earl,

What kind of equipment would you recommend for an upcoming African video producer....

Am in a country with great potential in film industry...but budgets most of the times are so restraining and abig stressor in this part of the world, Any suggetions where I might get cost effective pre and post production equipments....?

EarlC's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Hello Brinho...

I am, sadly, so under-informed regarding most things in ANY of Africa, other than, of course, all the BAD press we hear on the news and elsewhere. Of course I have no idea where in Africa, or what your general economic situation would be, your actual involvement or even the availability of film/video industry level equipment and technology.

Assuming you have SOME level of accessibility to money/financing and equipment resources, I can only point you in a direction I personally would take, and hope to take but will have to wait myself a bit longer to come up with the necessary budget resources to pursue.

Perhaps even here, on the Videomaker Forum classifieds section, you could find honest, reputable people in the business who are upgrading, or getting out of the business, and offering equipment at a decent price - of course shipping, export regulations? and security might be a problem???

I tend to avoid making such purchases via Ebay - simply too many instances and too many risks involving unscrupulous sellers for my tastes. I know nothing of what is locally available to you, but I do know that B&H Photo-Video, New York, has an extensive (at times) used/resale department and they are trusted in the industry. Their pricing isn't always so outstanding, but is usually in line with the term "reasonable".

I tend to avoid many of the companies, even though they maintain full-page, or more, ads in various video industry related magazines and trade issues, because I am so tired of their bait-and-switch tactics or worse.

I paint a dismal picture, sorry, but I suspect your best bet to identify a low-risk equipment acquisition environment would be to join, participate in, and check out the "classified" forums on such places as Video University, Wed Vid Pro, DV Professionals, WEVA and here, to name a few. There are probably others, and probably located closer - European continent or even some areas in Africa - I suppose a Google search for such forums would be positive?

I cannot think of anything better, or any other approach, without being more informed of your specific situation, location and economics involved - though you DID say something about restraining budgets being (understandably) a "big stressor" in your part of the world. Good luck in your efforts.

EQUIPMENT - budget notwithstanding, I have great faith in utilizing a maxed out version of the newest, biggest iMac along with its included iDVD, iMovie, iTunes and related software, along with a camera such as JVC's GY-H100, and perhaps a wireless mic rig from Sennheiser, along with LitePanels on-camera light and one or two Zoom H2 digital recording units as a STRONG, but still relatively expensive, basis for a person seeking to start video services provider business - be it event, documentary or entertainment, or commercial.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Brinho,

Having had the privilege to have shot stills and video in two African countries I can back up Earl's info to a small degree.

First off, where are you? Whether in Africa, Asia, Europe or the US for that matter your ability to secure equipment - software - and trained personnel all depend on your location. The closer you are to urban areas, the better your chances.

Next, how are you set for money and resources? Believe it or not you need both to work in this industry. Even if you have people who will work for free, everything costs something. You can have lots of money, but if there are no resources it won't make any difference. Some of the long list of resources required are; access to vehicles to transport personnel and gear. Food, water and shelter for yourself and your crew. Computer and internet access, the list goes on.

Most important, how stable is your region? If everyday you wake up and someone new is running the government your country has stability issues. Unstable governments lead to civil wars and other large-scale internal strife which can restrict access to all the above things I just mentioned.

Even if your government is stable, how stable is your country's economy? The value of your countries currency can work for or against you when you have to make equipment purchases either locally or online. Since you seem to have internet access, when looking for equipment seriously look at how much your currency is valued against that of the country you're looking to buy things from. You may find according to your own currency you may have to pay 2x or more the value of your own money which can get extremely expensive. Unfortunately, the places that will have quality equipment and reputable service will cost more.

As for buying gear you've got lots of choices. I suggest you dig through the reams of articles and forums here at VM as they are an invaluable resource. As for computer gear, you've got two choices; Mac or PC. Both choices can be poor or solid depending on where you are. If you are near major industrialized urban areas a mac may be the way to go as there will be more opportunities to find support for their products. If not, a PC may be your better option as there are far more PC outlets and support in places you wouldn't think would be (I know from experience having to use cannibalized PC components to keep a Mac system running in the field!) Price wise, you're going to pay more for a mac. Though PC's are cheaper when it comes to consumer models, both brands get expensive when you get to professional grade units.

One thing you should not rule out is Used Gear. Until you are in a position to secure larger funding and resources for your endeavor, your mantra should be 'good and cheap'. At this particular stage, it is not important for you to have the absolute 'top of the line gear'. In fact two or three stages down may suit you just fine. The workflow will be slower mind you, but the stress on your budget will be less. Earl's suggestion of looking at used gear on B&H is a solid choice. Also, there are long time members here on the VM forums who would be happy to sell off their old gear at reasonable prices.

Right now your main goal should be getting just enough gear to get the job done. You can add to your equipment list as you go along. Good luck!

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com