You are here

Need help with choosing camcorder & mic for meetings

mikep2's picture

<font color="#000000" size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>I need 3 consumer level Hi Def camcorders with wireless
microphones to record 3 simultaneous workshops indoors. </span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>Total video time will be approximately nine hours over several
days. The camcorder will be plugged in the entire time.</span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>The cameras will be on tri-pods and turned only to focus on one
speaker at a time during panel discussions. The camera will be no more than
30-50 feet from the panel. </span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>Videos will be edited and uploaded to view online. </span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>The audio should be reasonably clear and doesnt need to be
perfect broadcast quality. </span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>I don't know if it makes a difference if the storage is Hard
Drive, sd cards or both. </span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

<p style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt; line-height: normal;" class="MsoNormal"><font face="Calibri"><span style='color: black; font-size: 18pt; mso-bidi-font-size: 11.0pt; mso-ascii-font-family: Calibri; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman"; mso-hansi-font-family: Calibri; mso-bidi-font-family: Calibri;'>Any suggestions for camcorder, external microphone & place to
buy them? Id prefer cost of each camera/mic set to be no more than in the five
to six hundred dollar (US) range.</span><span style='color: black; font-family: "Times New Roman","serif"; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: "Times New Roman";'><o:p></o:p></span></font>

</font>

BruceMol's picture

Given that wireless mics themselves are in that price range by themselves you may wish to either increase your budget, rent, buy/rent combo if you will do it again soon, or buy some mics and borrow cameras. I have used SONY hard drive cameras that will hold 9 hours maybe someone can advise on SD based cameras.

Michael Perloff wrote: ______________________________________

I need 3 consumer level Hi Def camcorders with wireless microphones to record 3 simultaneous workshops indoors. Total video time will be approximately nine hours over several days. The camcorder will be plugged in the entire time.The cameras will be on tri-pods and turned only to focus on one speaker at a time during panel discussions. The camera will be no more than 30-50 feet from the panel. Videos will be edited and uploaded to view online. The audio should be reasonably clear and doesnt need to be perfect broadcast quality. I don't know if it makes a difference if the storage is Hard Drive, sd cards or both. Any suggestions for camcorder, external microphone & place to buy them? Id prefer cost of each camera/mic set to be no more than in the five
to six hundred dollar (US) range.

mikep2's picture

</font><span style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 11.5pt;'>Thanks
Bill. The HC-V700Ks look like they fit the bill but I have some concerns about
the mics. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></span>

<span style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 11.5pt;'>Some
additional information: I'm using a Sony ECMHW1 Bluetooth Wireless Mic
and Sony-SR60 camcorder. Currently when the microphone is placed in the middle
of a table of panelists it picks up all their comments with an acceptable degree of
clarity. Most questions and comments from the audience can also be understood,
of course at a very low volume. The Azden/Audio Technica set appears to require each person on a panel to have his own set.</span>

<span style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 11.5pt;'>Sorry
if I sound like a novice but it seems much more complicated to record sound in
three frequencies. Will these mic sets make such an appreciable difference that
I should learn how work with multiple frequencies?</span>

<span style='color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: "Verdana","sans-serif"; font-size: 11.5pt;'>Mike</span>

brunerww's picture
Plus Member

Thanks, Mike. Now I understand your requirement better. You want one omnidirectional mic that captures all three panelists, and maybe a separate mic for the audience. For that, you do not need 3 frequencies, you need two.

In that case, I recommend twoAzden WR-PRO receiversand two Azden handheld mics with built in transmitters. The third camera can record room sound or no sound at all. If all three cameras run continuously throughout the event, all you really need is two audio tracks.

The two mics and receivers should be set to separate channels. One mic on a stand in the middle of your panelists' table - and one mic passed between questioners.

Hope that's a little more helpful (and less expensive) than my first answer!

Bill

Hybrid Camera Revolution

dellwovideo's picture

Sorry, but I couldn't tell for sure - Are you using three cameras to record one panel at a time, or three cameras to record three panels at a time?