You are here

Need Help Making an Online youtube video.

hockinsonjohn's picture

hello,

Im new to video edition and on a mission. I work as Internet Manager in a car dealership. I am always trying new stuff and to stay ontop and be different. when a new customer puts in a request I like to send them an email answering there questions and have a video walkaround on the vehicle there are asking about.

The way I currently do it: I have a Motorola Thunderbolt I will use the camcorder option and make a nice 5-8 minute video walkaround for the customer to see the car and the options up close and personal. then I will transfer the file to my pc and upload it to my youtube page then take the link and insert it in the email to my customers for there viewing pleasure.

I need some help and insite. I would like to be more professional with my videos. I would like to edit them and have a nice intro to the video like you would see in a real movie. I dont have alot of money to go by something like after effect due to only using it for this one project.

one problem I have with the way I currently do it now and trying to experiment with windows movie maker is the recorded movies on my phone will not play in windows movie player or even find them when trying to locate them on windows movie maker.

Luis Maymi's picture
Plus Member

Hello John, welcome to Videomaker forums.

The problem with Windows Movie Maker is probably the video format recorded by your phone. Try using a program called MPEG Streamclip (is free) to convert the Motorola Thunderbolt video into AVI and then edit in Movie Maker. I have no idea which video format your phone use, so I'm not sure if Streamclip will work, but it's worth the try. If this works your ready to edit.

What your doing is great and could potentially increase your chances of selling a car, but how exactly are you recording your videos? I could give you a lot of recommendation (one is to read Videomaker article "How to Make a Video"), but I could be of more help if you describe a little more about your current production process. Also (if you can) post one of your videos here, it will give Videomaker community a clear idea of what your doing and help you better.

-

"The meaning of a movie are the characters, the life of the movie is the music, but the magic is in the editing" –  http://www.lomaymi.com

eager to learn's picture

I'm not quite sure how to start a new thread here so I apologize in advaance on piggy-backing on John's post. I'm a newbie to filmmaking coming to it as a writer who wants to create my own online series. I have almost no budget (think desktop PC running XP Pro on a card table). ISince I can only afford one camera, which should that be? A DSLR? A camcorder? Camcorders can shoot longer, have built-in mics and lighting but DSLRs have interchangeable lenses, other advantages over a camcorder? Then there's budgeting for mics (if not using a camcorder), lights, video editing software ( I have and love Audacity for sound) . If you were just startign out filmmaking with a $500 budget what would you get in order of priority? 1. Camera 2. Editing software. What would you get if you had a $1,000 budget? Thank you so instead?  Thank you so much for your thoughts/suggestions.

hockinsonjohn's picture

Thank you so much for the info. this box has the link area greyed out so i cant post a one click link but here is a post to one of my current videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-360gb4CunY&list=UU7vXELNGPimS04UMyKqD2YQ&index=1&feature=plcp

hockinsonjohn's picture

I am currently trying to bid on a super nice laptop that has the whole adobe creative suite. Im really hoping I can get it reasonable. Then I will have some nice tools to start learning. also in the works of trying to find a nice camcorder other than my phone camcorder. my new position will be to train others to do this and mantain the internet dept and teach them how to do this and I would really love to have a more advance video. most dealers dont even do what im doing now.

hockinsonjohn's picture

I would love to be able to have an intro with something like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9k-WKPOKd4&feature=related

Matthew Carr's picture

John, being new to all this, your Acura TL Tech Walkaround shoot sure turned out great. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!

hockinsonjohn's picture

hey thanks I shot that on my motorola thunderbolt lol.

I am trying to figure out what would be a nice camcorder to shoot with if anyone has any good ideas.I found a nice

<h2>Canon XL1 Pro for $850.</h2>

would that be too much for what Im going to be doing?

<h2>Canon HV20 also found this for $450.</h2>

trusso's picture

Digital Juice has some great templates for After Effects called Ready 2 Go http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/product_lines.asp?plid=306. They are easy to use.All the layers are there. You just need to change the text or video or pic layers. If you want to see one in action, go to http://vimeo.com/34434671to see a video I just did last month using one of these templates as an intro. I had to add the music. Now more importantly, did Stephanie buy the car?

hockinsonjohn's picture

that sounds really good. yes she was super impressed with the fact I built the video for her. she set a weekend apt and im sure she watched it a few times before she came in. I was really lucky to have the exact configuration she was looking for.

trusso's picture

Every one of them are customizable. When you open them in AE, you see every layer. You just import the assets you want and drag them to the layer, tell it to replace it and BOOM! You assets are aleady resized and twisted to fit into the layer. Good luck.

shannie77's picture

You may try with Appgeeker, it can help you edit video through triming, cropping, taking effect, text and image watermak, rotating the direction, etc.

http://www.ilikemall.com/how-to/convert-flv-to-mp4-mac.html

As you said, you need to upload them onto Youtube, i dont know what format extension you use for shotting the video, but the tool can let you easily change into a Youtube friendly format like FLV.

Still, it is worth a look.