You are here

Need expert advise on buying

vegllc's picture

First Hello to all, this is a great forum for people that dont know what they need, so thank all of you who are out there helping. I want to say I joined because I need the help but I ended up reading so much I had to stop and ask my questions. HAH!

I am wanting to take as many video clips of 1min to 30mins each night

I will need alot of memory for each day and nite, but will remove all info for the next day.

I am looking for a (I think HDD) video camera.

I need a hand held mic that will work with the video camera (it must have mic and head set jacks)

I need a video camera that has a light as a lot will be night time shooting

I will be interviewing and taking quick clips and will need a long battery or extra

I need and this is and its a must... to be able to to add it to youtube straight from the camera (do they make that other then the Flip)

I thank any of you who can help, and like everyone that is looking for product, the best deal is what I am willing to spend as long as I can get what I am looking for.

Thanks

BarefootMedia's picture

Essentially, you are looking for a prosumer camcorder you can use as if it were a toy camcorder. And so there are problems in your search.

To start with, lights built in to a camcorders provide very little light. Beyond a head & shoulders close-up, they are nearly useless. But they still drain batteries at an alarming rate. If you need an on-camera light, you should be looking for actual on-camera lighting. Recent developments in using LED's for lighting has reduced the weight & power consumption of on-camera lighting. But they are far from cheap. And they still consume far more power than modern camcorders.

Now, provided you spend enough money, you'll have no problem finding an HDD HD camcorder with mic in & headphones out. But your estimation of the total recording time each night is especially vague. Do you need to record ten hours of video or is it just a half hour's worth of one minute clips? So there's no way for me to guess how many hours of recording time either your batteries or the camcorder's hard drive needs to have. Plus as far as batteries go, you'll also need a notion of how long the camcorder is on, but not recording. That may or may not be a factor in how many batteries you'll need.

Uploading to YouTube is not a matter of your camcorder, but a matter of software and compression. YouTube only allows up to one gigabyte per upload. The reason "net sharing camcorders" can upload directly from the camcorder is because they record video to an MPG4 compressed format. I've yet to see an HDD camcorder with the option of MPG4 recording, only inexpensive flash media camcorders. So the files they record are comparatively HUGE. In order for them to be uploaded, they will need to be converted into a more compressed format or you'll spend the entire day uploading. I believe there is software that can compress then upload video to YouTube. Where to get it and how well it works, I haven't a clue.

Your requirement of direct uploading from the camcorder overrides all your other requirements. You have to decide between learning how to upload your own video or using a camcorder with an external mic & headphones. So make a choice and decide on the total time you'll need to record. Then let us know so we can provide useful advice.

D0n
D0n's picture

in addition to the above advice....

check out some bridge/point&shoot photo, still cams. Many of these cams take very good video....and some have mic inputs. check out sony, canon, and casio. they'll record video straight to sd or cf or memorystick in mpeg-4 /mov/avi files you can upload easily.

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

If you are willing to forgo HD and settle for SD, many of the HDD cameras record SD as MPEG2, which can be directly uploaded to YouTube.

HOWEVER, I would strongly urge you NOT to do so, but to edit your pieces, and then render out in a compressed form that will look the best on YouTube.

As for capacity, the Sony SR11 (click here) will give you almost 15 hours of recording time at the highest quality SD setting, and over seven hours at the highest quality HD setting. It also has external mic and headphones jacks. No video light, but there is a flash built in for the 10 mpx still camera feature. As I said, it attaches to your computer via USB so you could just upload the MPG files directly (but I still advise against that). Last point - If you don't care about quality, it has Super Night Shot so you can shoot in total darkness and go IR green.

I have this camera and love it but it is not perfect by any means.

Bruce Paul 7Squared Productions http://www.7squared.com

D0n
D0n's picture

2 notes to add to that:

casio efx1: (smokin' bridge camera that'll do what you want and more).

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08010601casiof1.asp

If you do shoot in night mode on a sony with nightshot mode...you can add a digital filter effect also. Try switching to nightmode (sickly green) then add a digital filter (say black and white or sepia) to get a pleasant b&w ir effect...

vegllc's picture

Wow so much to understand, you guys are great. Let me explain a bit more.

I am doing videos of people walking around at places like madi gra, parties ect where nght life will be. So i must have a night lite. I did not mean it had to be HDD but i was reading they were the best, how about other ways that may not be hdd like what member BIRDCAT said? I dont know what SD means but i like that it has all I need except the Light? I will be in clubs also so i thought a headset is important? I have a question, lets say its like doing what the guy does for girls gone wild, but interviews not the bad stuff. Whats is he using, i mean I am sure its way up there, but i want something that I can use that will do that type of videoing. I will be doing clips that dont last over 10 mins as I see its a bad idea and most will be 2 to 5 mins, i want to be able to stop and restart new, like a 2 min interview, stop, then a 5 min interview then stop ect... then when I DL them on to the pc i can do it like this, first clip 2 mins, ends... then next clip 5 mins.

See I am trying to avoid the cutting room and want it all raw, but in clips. I hope you guys are ok with my questions and really thank all of you this is a big deal to me and i don't want to make the wrong choice.

Thanks Deana

PS total time can be 5hrs a night. I can delete each night after we DL. And the mic and headset is for the interviewer i think it is needed?

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

SD = Standard Definition (in the US - it's NTSC - 720 X 480 resolution @ 29.97 fps)

HD = High Definition (can be up to 1920 X 1080 @ 30p, 60i, 24p, etc...)

Stuff like Mardi Gras will have lots of ambient light so any low light capable camera would be OK (the Sony VX2100 is a MiniDV based model but works really well in low light - 1 lux).

Also remember, one drawback of HDD is that once you delete it from the camera, it's gone - You need to back it up onto some media other than your pc's hard drive to be safe.

D0n
D0n's picture

Sounds like a sony sr11, mounted to a bracket with a video light, a wireless handheld mic (or perhaps you could get away with sony's little bluetooth unit).....

Me I'd just use my sr12, my rode mic and a video light, shoot lower res, onto memorystick, import to my macbook with imovie'08 and use iweb to publish to a mobile me gallery, or blog.... cause that's what I got laying around.....

D0n
D0n's picture

looks nice, but that light may be too powerful, for walking around, busy crowded places, shining in peoples faces....an on camera, low powered light or l.e.d. light will work, for you needs...

vegllc's picture

I WENT TO A PLACE CALLED RITZ CAMERAS, THEY SAID THEY DID NOT CARRY THE SR11 THEN HE LOOK IN THEIR SYSTEM AND HE SAID THE COMPANY HAS NONE. HE WAS AMAZED AS WAS I THAT HE HAD THE SR 10 AND SR12 BUT NO SR11 SO HE WENT AND GOT THE SONY CATALOG AND THEY SHOWED YOU CAN ONLY ORDER SR10 AND SR12 CAN ANYONE ANSWER WHY THEY DO NOT SELL OR MAKE THE SR11 ANYMORE? HE THINKS IT COULD BE BECAUSE THEY HAD PROBLEMS WITH IT. I DONT WANT TO BUY IT IF THATS THE PROBLEM, I GUESS I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE TO THE SR12 BUT I WAS TRYING TO SAVE A LITTLE MONEY. THANKS FOR ANY HELP, DEANA

birdcat's picture
Plus Member Moderator

I was in Best Buy over the weekend and they had the SR11.

If you have to choose either an SR10 or SR12, go with the SR12 - It is essentially an SR11 with a larger hard drive - They both (SR11 & SR12) have a much bigger imaging CMOS than the SR10.

EDIT - Just checked on Sony's website - They guy from the camera store was lying to you:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665291500

chrisColorado's picture

For editing,I really suggest Roxio Buzz. It's a REALLY simple little program, that can cut,trim and output footage straight to youtube.It isn't any use to someone like me, but for you it sounds perfect!

My blog has more details about Buzz: http://videomaker.com/community/blogs/freeware/non-freeware-of-interest-suggested-by-readers/

Note: Buzz only works on Windows and requires .NET Framework, so if you have Windows Vista, that will be perfect.