You are here

Need DIY budget method to mount camera above subject

videodx's picture

I need to devise a way to mount a small Canon Vixia camcorder directly above the subject, but not visible in the frame. What I'm seeing in my head is a hangman type setup like in the picture, except with a longer horizontal top bar. I have a tripod I can use as a base, but not sure exactly how to go about creating something to get the camera where I need it to be... suggestions?

Jack Wolcott's picture
Plus Member

Search B&H for "grip clamp" and "grip head." Both will offer solutions for connecting a light stand and boom. You can rig a boom from PVC or even metal pipe. You'll have to get creative rigging a way of attaching the camera but you should be able to find something at Home Depot -- an angle iron, for example -- that will serve as a mounting bracket.

Jack

VideOccasions

paulears's picture

How about a standard microphone stand with a boom arm and a swivel knuckle at the top?

D0n
D0n's picture

a manfrotto mini boom stand is certianly up to the task.
in fact I was planning to shoot a short video showing how to convert a manfrotto mini boom stand into a camera crane using two manfrotto superclamps and and two pulleys and a length of clothline cable to make the controls...

http://www.vistek.ca/store/ProPhotoLightingStands/161029/manfrotto-420b-combi-boom-stand-sandbag-black.aspx#

videodx's picture

<span>Perhaps the standard mic stand with a boom arm could work, simply because the little vixia camera is very very light in weight. Not sure about what the swivel knuckle is though, I'll have to check that out. The boom part will have to be pretty long to reach where it needs to go. Do they make boom extensions for standard mic stands? What about the vertical I'll need to extend down from the boom, is there something made that will attach to the end of the boom? Sorry for all the questions; there's just so much stuff out there, it's hard to narrow it all down to what I absolutely need.</span>

videodx's picture

I think I found an even easier solution:

http://snakeclamp.com/camera-snakeclamp-with-flexible-gooseneck-arm.html

I can get one of these flexible gooseneck arms long enough to attach to the wall or something nearby, and get it to go right where I need it.

chuckzootz's picture

check out You Tube search for diy Cranes and Jibs, there are lots of ideeas out there and i will be building one soon myself

paulears's picture

The sivel knuckle is just a ball and socket joint that later you quickly adjust pan/tilt and angle - has a socket on one end and a screw thread on the other.