You are here

NAB 2012: Don't Miss This Design from Blackmagic

Jackson Wong's picture
Administrator Plus Member

NAB 2012: Don't Miss This Design from Blackmagic

Blackmagic Design does a lot of things well, and theBlackmagic Cinema Camerais going to join the compliment of mixing software, 3D processors, hubs, and converters as another fine product. The quality of this high-end camera is in the compliment of Canon's EF-mount and Zeiss ZF lenses, 2.5K (2592x2192) resolution and uncompressed file formats.

The form is strangely similar to other Blackmagic Design products with solid, rounded edges forming a sort of DSLR prism. Or you could say it appears similar to an external SSD, but wait, that's it, the Blackmagic Cinema Camera records directly to SSD! The 5-inch touch LCD screen takes on a bulk of your usage since the external buttons are minimal. The sides of the camera house the removable SSD and the assortment of connections for the likes of an external mic, headphones and Thunderbolt.

read more and view images...

leonlacourt's picture

Iam very excited with this cam. But there a couple o things that worry me. First the battery life is just of 90 minutes, i dont like to carry around with bricks. And in the end you will have to buy new accesories specific to this camera.

Jackson Wong's picture
Administrator Plus Member

Great point on the battery life, I love having plenty of power, and like so many DSLRs coming out, this seems to be a more common issue. Hopefully the three 1/4" thread mounts on top of the Blackmagic Cinema Camera will help, though no hot/cold shoe. I suppose much of the savings will come from being able to use any EF-mount and Zeiss ZF lenses that are already in your inventory.

ProPhotog1's picture

Wow, such a small sensor and no info on mic sensitivity or settings. Doesn't seem to be any kind of mount on top for an external, although there are what looks like some kind of machined holes on top for some kind of mounting. And then there is the fact that the battery is not swappable...seriously??? Of course this should be easy to fix before release. And the stark reality of a camera of this design is that it is very limiting in how you can shoot creatively. The viewfinder, while nicely laid out and seemingly intuitive, is fixed from what I can tell. And the fact that it has very little depth hand held creative shooting is pretty much not what this camera is for. In the same breath its probably perfect for Tripod based "Talking Head" Documentary style shooting.
So the question is, is the extra Software Bundle worth getting a Camera in an Arena of so many more versatile HD Cameras with much more real-world-shooting features...I would say not.
I think Black Magic is one of the most important companies in the Video World...always thinking outside the box. But this time they fell inside the Box trying to compete with the 35mm SLR Cams instead of making a Camera that real professionals would love to shoot with, without its limitations.

fadlywychowvski's picture

Very excited about this camera although I'm very cautious about it's debut. One thing to note though is that this camera is pitted against dslrs and other cameras within the 3k range. But for that price, the package is amazing, this camera bridges the long and arduous gap between production and post. For that price and it's targeted audience, I think this camera will fare well in the end. I wrote an article on m blog about this camera, but I think it's very raw and not that refined yet. Do leave me feedback. I'm thinking of trying this one out.

http://fadlywychowvski.blogspot.com/2012/04/5-things-to-note-about-black-magic.html

fadlywychowvski's picture

I'm thinking that this camera is aimed more towards consumers and semi-pro. BMD wouldn't want to compete in an area that has heavyweights. Ultimately I think, this camera is just to get it's other products out of the cave. I think BMD is trying to create an ecosystem, and this camera aids the ecosystem, it is not the main point of the ecosystem itself.

steve4505's picture

On another forum the battery issue being discussed and it should basically be looked at as an UPS battery where yourswap-ablebatteries are added with almost whatever you choose. The options are almost endless. Someone will probably make a battery grip for it too.