You are here

My Wishlist for the Next TM700

Roy
Roy's picture

I have been shooting Video since the Hi8 days and have always purchased Sony Cams.

Alais, the lens ( sealed ) collapsed on my Sony HDR-FX1e and to repair would have cost over $2500.

This all happened after only 30 hours shooting. YUK.

So I purchased the Panasonic TM700, and it is an awesome camera, shooting the best quality video that I have ever seen.

The camera does have some minor annoyances though, and here is my wish list for the next Panasonic upgrade.

1.. The "IA / Manual" button should be moved to maybe a touch screen button as I shoot mainly in "IA" mode and where it is, its too easy to accidentally turn off "IA".

2.. The "Mode Dial Switch" needs to be strengthened. Mine seized up incurring $250 in repairs.

3.. I am used to largish cameras, such as Sony's VX2000 and the FX1e and because the TM700 is so tiny and light I have great difficulty with shake, despite its excellent stabilisation feature. To solve this I purchased a Steady Grip fromhttp://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/hague_cs1_camcorder_steadymount.html

I do love travelling with the tiny cam.

I would buy another TM700 despite the above.

Happy shooting.

Dave Haynie's picture

The most annoying thing I found on the TM700 is that there are no less than three totally different ways to set your video mode. On my HMC40, you go to the most menu and just set the mode: 720/60p, 1080/60i, 1080/24p, whatever.

The TM700 has that same menu, and you can set a video mode there... as long as it's one of the four 1080/60i modes (they vary by bitrate). If you want 24p mode, you have to wade down into the main menu and find "Cinema" mode. But if you want 60p, you have to press the 60p button. There should be a single way to set any
mode.... this is particularly confusing for consumers.

The other thing... the 24p in a 60i wrapper thing should have been kicked out of tapeless camcorders years ago. And in fact, it was ... not only by Canon, but by Panasonic, years ago. My HMC40 does native 24p. But so
does the SD9 I bought for my daughter. Panny had fixed this, but broke it for the most recent cameras.

Sadly, the TM900 didn't seem to fix much. They have done some additional signal processing on the
sensor, not sure if the sensor itself is improved. They have the 3D support from the SD750, for what that's worth. And a new "hybrid" OIS system, which works like Sony's... it's OIS for horizontal and vertical movement, digital for roll along the axis of the lens. That could be a good thing.

Worst decision on the TM900 is changing the battery specifications. I loved the fact that, unlike the other manufacturers, Panasonic wasn't playing "battery of the month" games. My HMC40, my TM700, my daughter's SD9, all use the same basic battery (you need a mechanical adapter to fit the six hour battery for the HMC40 to the TM700, just due to the size, but it works). I thought about picking up another TM700 or a TM600; I'm not interested in the TM800/900 simply because of this change.

artsmith's picture

Dave, you have pre-empted a new item I have just posted today (Sunday 11th, although possibly still Saturday 10th in your neck-of-the-woods). I cannot see any reason whereby the WV-VBG260 could not have been incorporated into this camcorder. I am delighted by every aspect of my SD900 so-far, but as an ex designer/developer in the consumer home-appliances industry, these changes make no sense to me whatever. You actually sacrifice few advantages, however, by running your camcorder from a remote pack of the same specification (after all our 230v stepped-down to the required DC voltage and smoothed, possibly also regulated is the same-thing, but itaddsthe inconvenience of extra bulk and weight to the package), but as the pack winds-down, the state of the voltage, unless regulated and with a remote state-of-charge or cut-off indication, remains forever a mystery. However, I have run gear that way before, right back to my 'Super-8' days, in fact. By the way, anything other than the lens-hood supplied is of little use, due to two light-sensor devices under the lens requiring access for signal-information from-the-front. That means either a specially made lens-hood with the appropriate cut-aways, or some other solution like a specially adapted compendium bellows. (Not greatly portable, the latter solution though, but great for some close-up video). I have partly overcome a problem by fitting to the front of the lens a 46mm to 52mm 'step-up' ring, which I have had around for still-camera use. That puts any clutter likely to intrude into the corners of images on 'wide-angle', further back and minimises cut-off. Also, as my retailer pointed out, 46mm is pretty-much 'yesterday's' filter-size, whereas 52mm is much more common now.

The idiotic thing about the WV-VBG260 battery vs the WV-VBN130 supplied with the camcorder, is that both are able to be charged on the same remote acessory charger which I use, but only one fits the camcorder.