You are here

Music for TV program

acess35's picture

Hello, my name is Clemente and I got to say Videomaker's forums are the best... congratulations!

Ok, this time I have an audio issue regarding rights for music in a TV program.

The thing is that I want to include background music from local musicians in it but, as far as I know, they don't create their own music, they sing covers from different composers.

I don't know if I could get in trouble including theirmusic (eventhough I have their authorization) and, if I do, would they have to compose their own music so I could include them?

Oops, and one more thing... Asumming they say a song is of their own creation and it is not... How can I protect myself?

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work guys.

composite1's picture
Plus Member Moderator

Acess,

I'm with Grinner, don't use covers! If you are going to use originally composed music, it's best to commission each song from scratch and as Grinner says, 'buy the rights to use it' and document it with a release form with the specifics of your rights of usage.

If you don't want to go down that road, then there are hordes of 'canned music' you can purchase. For the least amount of hassle, I recommend outfits that sell 'Royalty-Free' music. You purchase it once, you can use it much as you want. There are some specific rules in the Royalty-Free Agreement, make sure you read them. However, it's far less hassle than commissioning music.

H.Wolfgang Porter, Composite Media Producer Dreaded Enterprises Unlimited, Inc. www.dreadedenterprises.com

acess35's picture

Thanks guys, as usual, you've been a great help.

Regarding the Royalty-Free music, I already own part ofDigital Juice's collectionbut wanted to givea chance to local talent but, I think I'll have to think and read about it a little bit more 'cause I don't want to take chances.

If there's an extra suggestion, I'll be glad to hear from you.

Best regards.

Eric Schwartz's picture

Hi Everyone,

Agreed, if you're looking to avoid any potential headaches, it's best to go for royalty-free or custom sound/music. For those coming across this post down the road, there's a great site out there with superb value, quality, and variety, especially for smaller or lower budget projects, and shorter film/video projects, called Audio Jungle. Even their extended licenses are a really good deal, all royalty free. Full disclosure, I'm a sound designer / composer, and I use them to sell some of my music and sound work. Check out my portfolio! http://audiojungle.net/user/SchwartzSound/portfolio?ref=schwartzsound

There are plenty of authors and material there if you don't find what you need from me... or feel free to contact me for any custom work ;) Thanks for listening!

P.S. AudioJungle is also part of a family of royalty free marketplaces, such as for video (VideoHive) and graphics (GraphicRiver), so it's a great place to find creative material (or inspiration) to help enhance any of your projects.