You are here

Multiple Wireless Lav Mics

Rex
Rex's picture

What would you suggest for a multiple wireless lava mic setup for live events? I generally shot weddings and I want to be able to get clean audio of the bride, groom, officiant, and whoever else may need micing. Is there a system that come with multiple transmitters and one receiver?

Right now I use a Sony UWP wireless transmitter and receiver running into one of my 7Ds. I only mic the groom and this has worked most of the time. But, when I shoot a wedding where the couple sit aside, or across the room, while the officiant delivers a message the audio is muffled and bad. I also use a H4n taking a feed from the venue's soundboard running into a DI box (which is the only way I found to get the D*&% thing to get decent audio). But some times venues and church's have their sound boards locked up or not accessible so I have to rely on my single Sony Lav.

Suggestions? What is your set up? Thank you.

paulears's picture

There are a few receivers with dual frequency operation - but they tend to be the expensive ones too - Sennheiser make some very nice ones. The usual system is to rack up mains powered equipment into 19" cases. I've never seen multichannel battery operated systems. It's also important to use the manufacturers suggestions as to frequencies as finding multiple channels that work with each other is difficult. Once you get up to four, you also need to think about somebody to monitor and record the output properly. They will fizz and splutter, so somebody being able to monitor the systems and keep them going is essential.

Many manufacturers provide rack'n'ready systems now - usually in 4 or 8 channel versions. However multichannel introduces more variables into the system and is not by any means a plug and play solution. If you get to a venue and discover one of your channels is being used by somebody else, it can take a while to find a new frequency plan that functions properly. Will this other mic interfere with yours? Quite possibly - one of the hazards of multichannel RF - Remember that that most expensive RF system is nearly as good as a 10$ XLR cable!

channelone's picture

paulears wrote:. If you get to a venue and discover one of your channels is being used by somebody else, it can take a while to find a new frequency plan that functions properly. Will this other mic interfere with yours? Quite possibly - one of the hazards of multichannel RF

Maybe in the olden days, but nowadays a typical synthesized diversity receiver can locate a number of open channels in even the most crowded RF environment and some of those receivers can actually reprogram the transmitters to the newly discovered freq’s. By the way, the entire process takes less then a minute.  

Wayne

paulears's picture

Once you go above 4 channels, you really need to dedicate somebody to look after them and monitor.

channelone's picture

rexomus wrote:But some times venues and church's have their sound boards locked up or not accessible so I have to rely on my single Sony Lav.

Suggestions? What is your set up? Thank you.

The most practical way to do this would be to add a dual wireless system to your existing wireless arsenal, we use the Audio Technica ATW-1800 series and have had good results you might want to look into them.

The problem becomes what are you going to capture the additional channels on?

I think the only way you will make this fly wirelessly would be to add a recorder such as a Tascam DR-40 and connect the dual channel wireless to the DR-40 and using the Sony to feed the 7D.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706536-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_1821C_ATW_1821C_Dual_Wireless.html

Wayne

BluEpiphany's picture

Oh, another $1400, is that all?

With wifi chips so small and cheap that Point&Shoots have Wifi-N,

it would seem robust Audio-over-wifi could be implemented here? 

Channel1Images's picture

BluEpiphany wrote:Oh, another $1400, is that all?

With wifi chips so small and cheap that Point&Shoots have Wifi-N,

it would seem robust Audio-over-wifi could be implemented here? 

There are two large problems with Audio over IP, the primary one is latency both within the encode and decode and end to end route latency, now with some AoIP applications such as cell phones a little latency is not noticed, but when your are synching an audio source with video being recorded it is not tolerable what so ever. The other problem with AoIP is error correction in a chain where resends are not tolerable so most AoIP systems rely on FEC which increase bandwidth demands.

Now there are nearly zero latency AoIP schemes out there such as apt-X but they are not inexpensive to deploy and doing such would easily exceed $1400.

I utilize digital studio to transmitter links that are apt-X based and the cards at each end are $2300 each.

Wayne

BluEpiphany's picture

Thanks, Wayne. These apt-X cards sound as if somebody (the makers of those sound cards

we all used to buy for desktops?) could compete with them when one could buy a new Avid

system or used Blackmagic Cinema or ? at $2300.  The price points are being lowered logarithmically (sic) by tech and clean audio capture is a universal filmmaking need.  

With 802.11ac coming out soon, I can easily see wireless audio becoming orders-of-maginitude

cheaper as production run orders are millions instead of thousands. A camera that uses Intel's WiDi hasn't seemed to appear yet either? Using your iPad-r as a separate viewfinder/scope - transformative! 

Channel1Images's picture

BluEpiphany wrote:

Thanks, Wayne. These apt-X cards sound as if somebody (the makers of those sound cards

we all used to buy for desktops?) could compete with them when one could buy a new Avid

system or used Blackmagic Cinema or ? at $2300.  

These are the cards we have deployed one at the studio and another at the transmitter site, I also have a second set of them installed between Traffic.com and the studio for our live drive-time traffic reports.

http://www.pulse.com/apt_pcau.html

Wayne