You are here

Moire effects on shooting a cell phone display

beachsun's picture
I am trying to shoot a video including a cellphone display but am experiencing significant moire effects. I've checked lots of sites about moire but they always suggest to blur the image which doesn't work in my case as the text on the cellphone screen becomes unreadable. The moire effects become worse when I edit and compress the video. I'm using a Canon HV10 (I've tried both SD and HD modes) and have tried using Premiere Pro 2.0, After Effects, and Pinnacle Studio 10.7 at various resolution, frame rate, file types (.mov, .avi, .mpg, .flv) and compression settings. I've also tried on a Sony DSC-T10 (both stills and video). I use a tripod and have the lens and display aligned (and have tried at about a 15 degree angle). I've tried dimming the cellphone display, using professional lights, regular daylight, and a darkened room with only the display generating light. But the curved moire lines still appear.

I'd appeciate any suggestions. Thanks.

paulears's picture
A few questions. Have you tried shooting at higher/lower shutter speeds? Is the problem evident in the viewfinder, or only once it's in the editor?

Can you take a frame of it and post it up so we can see.

Does it happen on other phones?

I'm thinking it could be real moire from the lcd structure, or more likely some kind of screen refresh rate/camera scan rate issue.

beachsun's picture
Paulears
I have attached frames from videos of the Samsung A707
Sync" using the Sony DCR-HC28 with auto shutter on and off (according to the specs are 1/60-1/250 for on, and 1/60-1/100 for off). The problem is evident in the viewfinder & LCD display and then also in the video editing software. Of course it's more noticeable as a video clip than as a frame. Unfortunately the problem appears on other phones like the RAZR V3c, Pantech C3, Motorola C139, etc., however, it is much less noticeable on menu screens, etc. than on large whitespaces like the notepad for writing text messages.

Thanks for your comments and any insights.
Auto Shutter Off Image1

Auto Shutter Off Image2

Auto Shutter Off Image3

Auto Shutter On Image1