You are here

miniDV Capture??

RockstarRider's picture

if i get a miniDV camcorder and capture the video in vegas pro 8, What are the requirements for my PC to capture the entire 1-hour video smoothly without dropping lots of frames...and be able to preview it..

Rob Grauert's picture

Capture to an external hard drive or a second internal hard drive. Never capture to your primary hard drive. Also, I've been told the hard drive speed should be no slower than 7200rpm.

One hour of video is 12-13GB, although, I've also been told you don't want to fill your hard drive more than half way because then it's only working half as good. So for example, I wouldn't fill a 500GB hard drive more than 250GB.

I believe dropped frames has to do with the speed of your drive. If you're talking about drop out, which is when some pixels are like, not there and look like the color of rainbows kinda, then that has to do with having dirty heads in your camcorder or deck.

You need firewire as well.

RockstarRider's picture

Well i have a hp computer and has an 80GB hard drive but i bought a 640GB external drive so imma capture the video to it..also it has a 2.7GHZ Intel Celeron Processor with 1GB of RAM...and i have a firewire port..is this good enough..??

RockstarRider's picture

yeah!...thats good...i would never ever recommend miniDVD camcorder for people that want to get into serious editing..a bunch of problems come up...i should of researched more about them..hopefull i will have better editing experiences with miniDV...sometime when i COULD import the DVD it didnt take long like maybe 5 min for 20 min of footage..i will have to get used to like waiting the entire minidv to get capture..but like i could go do something else while its is capturing...go to the bathroom or something..ha..minidv is good...

Rob Grauert's picture

"i would never ever recommend miniDVD camcorder for people that want to get into serious editing..a bunch of problems come up"

MiniDV is actually quite reliable. Ever since I got into video I've been using miniDV and I still use it to this day, and many others do too. It's cost effective and is capable of recording a decent image.

RockstarRider's picture

yup ive noticed that...miniDV is the path into professional editing.....very good...yeah i will certainly get a miniDV camcorder for christmas...and some tapes and UV filter and maybe extra battery...oh yeah and firewire cable..i almost forgot..ha...