You are here

Mini Dv tapes, 2 questions about keeping them safe.

beeznutz's picture
I have about 48 tapes completed in a project im working on which is following my friend on his way to become a stand up comedian. My first question is how often should i go about fast fowarding and rewinding these as to keep them in tip top shape for when i go into post.

My second question is that it has been very cold here especailly at night. Sometimes a new tape(blank) or 2 will sit out in the car, am i risking the tapes, my camera or worse my footage by doing this? I dont leave them out for long but long enough that its pretty cold to the touch whenever i get home and unload for the night.

I guess im conserned about moisture from the coldness, i dont know though. If its any help i shoot with a vx2000 and use sony tapes.

Ive heard mixed opinions on this matter and cant find a direct answer so if you know please post we all know tape is cheap.

I apprecaite all the answers to the questions so far, thanks for helping out the people that want to learn.

thanks
bobby

TomScratch's picture
Cool project!

I have found a wide variation in equpments' ability to Fast Forward and Fast Rewind. A couple years ago, a brand new high speed (expensive) dubbing deck that would FF in record time was also bunching up tapes, which I quickly got out of the habit of doing.
1) For important projects and unique can't be repeated footage, I make a firewire dub of all originals/master tapes. (Have needed to go to backups maybe less than 1% of the time because of damaged tapes; a few times due to "missing" tapes. As equipment ages, the percent could go up. Am remembering the days when eventually it seemed like all of my audio tape decks became occasional chewers.)
2) Fast Forward and Fast Rewind when needed, but as little as possible.

If you live in NYC (Queens/Brooklyn/Manhattan...) never leave anything in your car, including trunk, for even 5 minutes. How cold is it in your neighborhood, minus something? My limit is a couple hours. I make it a practice to never leave gear in a car overnight. If you live in the Southwest, this goes for daytime too. After bringing gear/tape into the shoot area from a hot or cold car, my rule of thumb is to wait 10-15 minutes or more for the gear to adjust to the shooting environment, if possible, before I begin. If you have condensation on your viewfinder or shooting lens, you can always CAREFULLY wipe it off.

A couple years ago, when I was considering adding to my Iditarod footage, I found a product for keeping a cam warm in the great outdoors. But up there, even in Southern Anchorage, they put electric blankets on their car engines overnight. If you are keeping gear in your car in this environment, that is spelled C-R-A-... Essentially, very hot and very cold can do damage to your tapes. Avoid the risk.

Great success to you on your project. Whether or not your subject makes it into the big clubs, this is a terrific documentary theme.

REGARDS ... TOM 8)

beeznutz's picture
thanks, yeah im very picky about leaving gear in the car. Maybe too picky if we go out to eat after the show or whatever im shooting i bring most of my gear into wherever. I just messed up and left some tapes in the car for a few hours and i was just worried about possible condensation.

The Video im shooting, is turning out great i couldnt of asked for a better story. Its full of twist and turns and is scripted by fate, im at about 10 monthes i dont have a end date in mind yet or anything of that sort im just gonna like fate work its magic and let me know. Im just trying to tell stories and let them be seen. Overall i see this as watching a dream being born in front of your eyes.

So has anyone had any problems with Dv Tapes that had been left in the cold weather?

Like i said it wasnt long, maybe 4 hours but id rather be safe.

Thanks for the input and support

bobby

KBVP's picture
Keep the equipment in a cooler. Fill some plastic bottles(with good sealing caps) with hot water and place these in the bottom of the cooler. Put a towel over the top of them, then put your gear on top of that. Coolers are great insulators from both heat and cold. Keep you tapes in a zip lock bag to prevent condensation and contamination. It helps to keep the camera in it's own camera bag- this will reduce spikes in temps and moisture.