You are here

Maryland Judge rules that videotaping a traffic stop is allowed

Hogwild's picture

http://blogs.nppa.org/advocacy/2010/09/28/maryland-judge-videotaping-cops-in-traffic-stop-is-allowed/

I found this article interesting & thought y'all might also. This guy was riding his motorcycle along an interstate and eventually got pulled over by an off duty state police officer and an active duty state police officer. The off duty officer pulled his gun and told him to get off the bike before identifying himself. This really isn't the issue in the article or the court hearing, but rather what the motorcyclist was ultimately charged with - videotaping the traffic stop.

If you read the article, or better yet - read the opinion of the judge (link is at end of article) the officer hit him with 7 separate charges. Four of which relate specifically to the "illegal" videotaping of the traffic stop. (The remaining 3 were traffic violations). At any rate, the judge dismissed all four charges relating to the videotaping and furthermore said "Those of us who are public officials and are entrusted with the power of the state are ultimately accountable to the public. When we exercise that power in public fora, we should not expect our actions to be shielded from public observation."

Take a look and read the judges's opinion. It's lengthy, but informative!

Any thoughts?

Hogwild's picture

I should have mentioned....the link is from the NPPA website - National Press Photographers Association

D0n
D0n's picture

the best and last non-violent line of defense against rights abuses by authorities is the video camera......

As a motorcyclist and Videographer I say the right to bear cameras should be added to the constitution.