You are here

Low quality output in Encore

sam3612's picture

I have exported high quality (1920x1080 lossless) footage from Adobe After Effects. Now when I take it into Adobe Encore to make a DVD I find that it loses all its quality once it's transcoded. Unless I burn it to blu-ray it can't keep its original 1920x1080 size and I've tried many different transcode settings and it seems like none of them would look high quality on a television. Surely Encore can do better can't it? I never put on a DVD and see it all pixelated, even if its an amateur film?

BruceMol's picture

How does it look if you export from AE to MPEG2-DVD and then put that in ENCORE? That's the way I'd do it in CS3.

sam3612's picture

Thank you, I tried that and its the same quality. I don't understand why in Encore it HAS to be 720x576. Thats not that size of a TV and it will just be blury if its on anything bigger than an iPod? Is there no way to have 1920x1080 without blu ray?

BruceMol's picture

Sam, the idea behind ENCORE is that it makes the video presentable in DVD or BLU-RAY formats. IF your player can play other video formats then YES you can put HDV on DVD discs and play them, but not as DVD MPEG2. MP4's can work in some players but the video can't be very long. My guess is even though you can save an HDV file to DVD as ROM, a strictly DVD player won't be able to play it. More likely a BLU-RAY player will be able to play both BLU-RAY and NON BR HDV files.

sam3612's picture

So there's no way to make a DVD thats High Definition or at least High Quality if I make a conventional mpeg2 DVD? How do other DVDs I own look so good and clear on my DVD player when they are regular conventional DVDs and not blu ray?

Thank you so much for your help by the way

BruceMol's picture

Here is where I bog down a bit in 'advice' because I know what you mean. Although I've made many a DVD exporting from Prem.Pro CS3 - high quality all the way. Imported to ENCORE, usually leave the bit rate as the preset - and most of those projects have turned out great in quality on par with store bought DVD's, there are still some DVD's that look far superior in image than what I can produce.

You are saying that your ENCORE results are crappy though, and I don't share that experience so all I can suggest is rendering your video in PPro instead of AE, chose DVD-MPEG2, Quality 5 (max), multiplex the audio (tab), DON'T use the export to ENCORE feature. Now check the quality of your video, if it is good, import to ENCORE and burn using the default settings and see what you get.

If it makes crap maybe someone else here has some advice and there are always the adobe forums and, of course a software problems. The only software probs I've read about, regarding ENCORE, was with the trial version; Adobe doesn't include all 'the stuff' for HDV. So, if you are using the trial version you are going to have to make a decision.